A question for linux users.

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by nugget, Jun 29, 2006.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

That's okay mate and thank you. I know that you're just starting but at least you gave it a shot. I was really hoping to hear from the people with a lot more experience, but what the hell, I think I'll stay with windows.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

When I worked as a NOC admin for a webhost, we had 2 BIND servers (covering a partial ClassC block), 2 mail servers running CommuniGate Pro over RH6, and (of course) the obligatory datacenter full of Cobalt RAQ4 and RH6 webservers. The domain controller (that wasn't even used) was a 2k box, as were the 2 SQL boxes. On our shared platforms, we had 1 2k box running a *lot* of smaller sites. Obviously, the majority of our use of Linux was for webservers, as I would assume for the rest of the world. Easy and free.

Literally, just build a box, activate Apache, create a user/ftp login, and let the clients go to town. A little more involved, but since I was untrained, and we were sitting behind a PIX and a Barracuda, the other 2 guys didn't seem to care. The mail servers always seemed a bit flakey, but I was just mainly working CommuniGate, and not the OS. Ahh... memories. Ya know, one time I even shut down a Linux box while the customer was putty'd in? Oh, the shame....

Now, it's easy to forget the high-end server environments that don't run Windows or Linux, but what about their market share?

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  3. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Blimey Fortch we're still using CommuniGate now. Just moving over to Exchange in a few weeks.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  4. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

Any reason for the switch? I know the RPC over HTTP in 2003 is hot, and the connectivity with Outlook is excellent, but at what cost? CommuniGate is a bit antiquated, but the administration is relatively simple for a Linux utilization.

ps I'm loving that you folks are across the big pond; not only do you have a different perspective on most things, but I get to read all the interesting words that I thought were just stereotyped!

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

It comes with the change in email address for the school I work for to better out internet identity. (Headmasters words not mine). Plus the support/upgrade costs for CommuniGate were getting too expensive when through M$'s schools agreement Exchange started to become a better option. We are starting to change over to ISA server and as that integrates with Exchanges it just seemed to be the option to take.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong