A+ Pass Mark

Discussion in 'A+' started by noelg24, Jun 26, 2004.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I'm getting to the point where I think I am still not ready for this...but can anyone tell me whats the standard pass mark in order to gain the A+ certification? I've been doing practice questions at www.techbomb.com and so far I have 69% with a mark of 86/109...i tihnk :roll: anyway thats the percentage mark I got...so can someone please put me out of my misery...thanks

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Don't know but thanks for the link, looks useful.

All I'd say is once you know what the pass mark is, try to pass mock test questions well above that score.
    I wouldn't feel great going to take the real thing, if I was only scraping through test questions.

But each to their own, good luck :!:

3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I'm sure from the time I sat it (back in the day), the pass mark was something like 565/900. I recall it was "more achievable" than what the practice tests set you up for.

However, I may be wrong, or it may have changed since. Don't lull yourself into a false sense of security, mate.

Anyway, best of luck when the time comes - let us all know :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'd tend to agree with flex on this one. On the mock exams, make sure you're getting pretty high marks before going for the real thing. Even if the mock exam is very close to representing the level of difficulty that the real test provides, you have to account for the fact that you'll be a bit anxious during the actual exam and anxiety tends to pull down a score somewhat.

I'm sure you've heard this already but try to find out where you need to learn more. Chances are there are areas where you really know your stuff and areas you need to study a bit extra on. We're all like that. I think when you get more knowledgable in those weak areas, you'll see your scores improve. Good luck.

EDIT: Forgot to mention...when I took the A+, it was still an adaptive test. That means that if you answered a question correctly at a certain difficulty level, it gave you a harder one. If you answered it incorrectly, you got an easier one. If you kept missing the easy questions, the test would terminate and you'd fail. If you managed to get some right, difficulty would go back up and you'd sort of toggle back and forth, riding the wave. Eventually, some sort of algorithm would decide if you'd passed your you'd failed. When my test ended, it was so abrupt, that for a moment, I didn't know what happened. I'd just answered a question and the screen suddenly flashed to the (in my case anyway) "Congratulations" screen. I sat dumbfounded for a few seconds thinking I failed until I read the text.

In contrast, Microsoft exams (and I guess the A+ as well) are a fixed number of questions given in a fixed amount of time. After it's over, you take a survey about your testing experience before you get your score (used to be after it but how the person answered the survey was always colored by whether they passed or failed).

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

If you take no other advice, take that. I nearly blew the Hardware part because of "weak areas". So for the OS part, I made sure I really nailed the stuff I knew I was weak on. Blew the damn thing out of the water :D

Have always done this since.

Wise words, Trip :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity