A+ or...

Discussion in 'A+' started by midfield general, Jul 28, 2006.

1. midfield general

midfield general New Member

I got a phone call from some agency and she said I should do some Microsoft or/and Cisco qualification (I think through Connectivity in London). I then told her that I was planning to do A+ but she said I shouldn't do that.

So what should I do? what is the next qualification after A+?

Knowledge wise - I know the usual hardware and software stuff pretty well eg. like if monitor has no display, pc doesn't turn on, pc crashes STOP errors, upgrades etc..that kind of stuff which everyone knows :biggrin

What I don't really know is databases and networks (except a very simple home network and network topologies).

Should I just do A+? or ______?

Thanks.

2. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Hi General,

Well, In my opinion, it all depends on what job/expertise you want.

It's not really a good idea to go from A+ to Cisco if you are going to be a Desktop support bod, but equally if you are going to working on networks then it would be a good idea. That said, I would personally say that the A+ and the N+ are an absolute must to get a good grounding for further studies.

I think the question is, what do you intend on getting out of your study?

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Yes you should do A+ and after that Network+. From what you know the A+ wont be too hard network+ might give you alot of new stuff. Of course she will say A+ is no good - she's trying to sell you a course and tell you how wonderful it will be and how much money you will make. To make it wonderful and to make money you need to start from the bottom... the very bottom and work your way up. You right A+ is for you and then Network+ then you will be in a position to look at higher level certs and this way you will be in an even better position to GET a job.

How will you study for the A+?

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

The agency woman will be trying to get you a job that she has on offer. Most employers request for Microsoft/Cisco candidates opposed to Comptia, which is why the agency woman says not to bother. I don't think it is because they aren't valued but because they are not as well known.

Depending on your knowledge, i feel A+, N+ is great. Even if you don't sit the exams, you will gain from the course content.

Try searching for A+ and N+ on the big recruitment agencies, they do come up normally followed by MCP, MCSE, Cisco or all three!

Employers list all the certs they are aware of to find the *ideal* candidate.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. superal

superal Bit Poster

midfield general... I got that exact same phonecall a number of months ago suggesting exactly the same thing through the same training provider. I guess I had pretty similar knowledge to what you have at the time... a good solid grounding in computers but no certs...

I went to take a look at Connectivity in Docklands, quite impressive, nice good looking girl that I spoke to, they dont give false promises and seemed very reasonable even let me sit in on a class! Like I said, seems a very good training provider but at +/_ 900 GBP a course I never signed up!

All because I found this forum, I took the A+ self study route, I got the MM All in one book... realised I did actually know quite a bit about most of it but nothing about the rest.

Take your time in making a decision, research all routes thoroughly and if A+ is not much of a challenge for you then book an exam and see how you get on... you might be surprised!!!

Dont build the Roof before the Walls are in place.

Certifications: None in IT
    WIP: MCSE possibly maybe!?
  6. midfield general

midfield general New Member

Yes, I'm looking for desktop support roles but I would also like to get into networks along the way though.

I'll be self studying the A+ and most likely do N+ (quite a bit I don't know!) as well.

I have 2 more questions that's not really related to this. Is an IT call centre job the same as 1st line desktop support?

I remember I had a link to a website that had thorough descriptions of most IT jobs with the appropriate certs that you should do. I lost the link and couldn't find it again on google. Does anyone know what site I'm talking about or have a link to a similar site ?

Thanks