A+ & NETWORK PLUS.

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by JumpLead, Jun 3, 2007.

1. JumpLead

JumpLead New Member

Hi all, I was looking into the training courses for microsoft certificates when I found this site. After doing a bit of reading it seems the best way for me to start is with the a+ and network plus. I've just been to my local collegs website and found these following courses, I take it these are the correct ones?

CISCO IT ESSENTIALS 1 COMPTIA A+

CISCO IT ESSENTIALS 2 COMPTIA NET+

I'm in full time work so obviously any studying will be done part time, would it be advisable to take one of these courses or can both be done at the same time? Also what sort of timescale would it take to complete these courses? I know its all relative with time and quickness of learning, but I'd hopefully be able to devote about 14 hours per week to the course. I'm not new to computers, but dont really know much about networking etc.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

First off, I'd highly recommend self-study. For the A+, I highly recommend the A+ All-in-One Study Guide by Meyers and PC Technician Street Smarts by Pyles.

Secondly, I'd be doing you a disservice if I told you how long it should take you to study. Everyone is different, with different experiences and different responsibilities and different abilities to retain information. For instance, it would take me far less time to study the A+ than it would take you because I've been in IT for years... but it would take my sister much more than to study the A+ than you because she has little experience with computers (plus 2 kids and no husband).

I would recommend that you study as long as it takes. Meaning, study until you understand the topics completely. It's more than just memorizing facts... it's getting an understanding of technology and how to deal with it to make it work right.

Hope this helps!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Gat0rvean

Gat0rvean New Member

As BosonMichael was telling you, I'd also recommend self study for atleast the A+ cert.

I myself do not yet have the certification but plan to take it before the summer is up, I'm not sure about your school but I took the same A+ course at mine last semester and there is just not enough class time to get done the things that you could do by yourself at home, on top of that there are many books, practice questions and of course forums :) to aid you and provide a cheaper experience.

I can also vouch for the A+ All-in-One Study Guide by Meyers, great book and easily understandable for all levels of experience.

WIP: A+, Network+
  4. Peggsta

Peggsta Bit Poster

I'm doing the same courses via home study and would recommend home study route over college, (especially, if like me, your holding a job and supporting a family home at the same time).
    Some weeks you may find certain topics easier and progress faster, but sometimes slower on other topics and have to go over things again. This way you can go at your own pace to complete the course.
    I'm 2 months into A+ and almost halfway.

The study books from my course provider seem a little lacking so I've been using the A+ study book by Meyers, mentioned above and I find it is extremely good to explain things, with good pictures to point out things. highly recommended :wink:

Certifications: None yet
    WIP: A+ N+ CCNA