a+,n+

Discussion in 'General CompTIA Certifications' started by christof17, Feb 19, 2009.

1. christof17

christof17 New Member

hi people new to the forum ok here gose im 19 unemployed from scotland today i got the salesman in my house from skillstrain he has gave me the patter:eek: and i am phoning him tomorrow to enrole in the course was just womndering what books would be good and roughligh how hard the course will be i have a good knolage of pc's so any help or storys would be apresheated:D

2. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Welcome to CF. :D

Do a little search of them on the forums. No experience of them personally. Make sure you know what you are signing up for.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

...you probably ought to take Dalsoth's advice and do thorough research on these forums before signing anything, mate... :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

if your unenplyed why take a course that will get you into debt?

if your interested in the A+ and N+ you need a pc that you are confortable in taking to pieces and messing about on (one from a recylcing centre or pawn shop would do (asl long as it has XP on it.

For the A+ You need compTIA A+ all in one exam guide 6th edition by Mike Meyers and PC Technican street smarts by James Pyles.

For the N+ you need compTIA N+ by MIke Meyers and Network+ by David Groth. All this will cost you in the region of £100 + the cost of the 3 exams and you can get free help on here if you need it.

If you sign with a training provider then you will be looking at thousands and some don't even include the exam fee in this you may also get ineadequate material too,

If it were me in your situation where as you probably don't have a lot of money then self study is the way to go although I would always recommend it.

Welcome to CF

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. mattstevenson

mattstevenson Byte Poster

I think you need to stop bashing training providers with blanket statements. Many people find that they get on better with TPs, including myself, and I've had no experience of poor materials or service really.

Still, if the OP is a bit skint, self study might be the way to go.

Welcome to the forum. :D

Certifications: Triple A+. Network+, CCENT
    WIP: MCP, ICND2, Sec+
  6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Matt, what TP are you using and what deal/package did you get for what price ?

7. greenbrucelee

I am not bashing them, all you need to do is way up the negatives and positives and you will see that there are far more negatives about them than positives.

I am only really trying to point out that you can save a hell of a lot of money by self study. I got myself in thousands of pounds worth of debt and it ruined my life for years. I do not want anyone to get into the same position as I was.

8. Mr Machfisto

Mr Machfisto Nibble Poster

Hi GBL

I can understand if you got into loads of debt by using a TP and it ruined your life, then you can use your example to warn others.

I am in thousands of ponds worth of debt from buying a nice sporty car that I can't afford to run, but I don't advise people not to buy cars.

Ok Skillstrain have had some bad press and maybe the guy should think about it and do research, but not all TP's rip you off.

MrM

9. jaycee0408

jaycee0408 Bit Poster

Training provider often put the course with fancy add-ons or guarantee, eg fire branding charges around £3000, guarantee passing in 7 days, studying in a boot camp, if you have failed the test, u can go back again for free.

Personally I don't trust the word 'guarantee', you have to read the small prints (which is daunting)

Some local colleges would teach A+ for a much cheaper cost, cost depends on region.

WIP: A+
  10. greenbrucelee

I got into debt at university not with a TP but I would recommend going to university but only if you have the cash. Yes some people do better in a learning environment this is where I would recommend a college or uni over a TP.

See its the guarantee thing that gets me too, there are more people who have been with TPs that havent got a job out of it than have. Its the earn loads of money garbage too. Even last week there was a skillstrain advert on TV saying earn 50k:blink

Its all about finding the facts out and not being lead on by a salesman.

The sales people probably do not realise that they could be potentially selling someone a course that shouldn't be on it but they should know what levels of certs to sell then maybe the negatives will turn into positives as people will be getting jobs that suit the candidates levels of experience.

11. loneferret

loneferret Byte Poster

Next time you see that advert, try and notice if there's a fine print somewhere...

Certifications: MCDST/N+/L+/i-Net+/CIW/OSCP/OSCE
    WIP: MCTS 70-662
  12. Mr Machfisto

Mr Machfisto Nibble Poster

:confused3

I'm confused, I know it doesn't take a lot!!

So you would advise people to go to Uni and get into debt as you have experienced, and not go with a TP that you have no experience with??

Ok we know there is a lot of advertising bull**** out there, and its not just TP's that do this. This is advertising and you can't do anything about it.

'Get into IT and earn 50k' yes you could with years of experience and loads of qualificaitons. Their not exactly lying its just smoke and mirrors.

I have used a TP and I am earning in excess of 45K so where is the argument?

MrM

13. greenbrucelee

I said go to uni if you have the cash. Yep there is BS there was BS at uni, but like I said it's all about finding the facts out and not getting lead on by a salesman

14. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Mr Machfisto, there are plenty of views either way but the more i see you post the more i get paranoid thoughts that you are working for a training provider. The only posts you ever reply on are training provider posts. Is that your internet passion? Finding posts with the words "training provider" and dashing in like superman.

GBL does not appear to like training providers. He posts about all sorts on these forums and has views on many things. I did not bash the TP's myself, i just said to be careful about what you sign up for which is sound advice i believe. If you want to help people on these forums then why don't you get involved in more with posts that do not include training providers.

You seem somewhat fixated with them and that becomes slightly suspicious after a while. Training providers are not all devils and they are not all saints. I just wonder why you seem so obsessed with posts about them.

I really don't mean to offend you with what i have said. You seem a nice enough guy. I'm a cynical guy though and perhaps too paranoid for my own good. If i reply to threads like these it's because i see someone who does not know there are alternatives and perhaps does not need the certs being offered. I like to make sure they go into something with their eyes wide open.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  15. christof17

christof17 New Member

thanks m8 only good reply as of yet i can afford the course can i download thos books for free and if so where i am useing a laptop do you recomend starting to build a desktop n get a cheap one ?