A month in the IT Sector

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Colloghi, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Following on from my "Thursday - what a day thread" which is on page 2 somewhere probably. Thought id update now ive been in my first IT job for around 5 weeks.

For those who havnt read my other thread, the job im doing is 1st line/2nd line helpdesk support supporting nhs staff. However although our job description is 1st line /2nd line, it is mainly a case of log it and send it on, as apart from password resets and one or two other things, frustratingly we cant do much over the phone due to the systems being specific NHS applications, oh and were not allowed to remote access due to various issues.

Overall im enjoying the job, i get up and feel as if im alive, compared to getting up and wishing the car would crash before i got to work, which is how my previous job was.

The team i work with are mostly great, the managers again are great, but the training? well thats poor very poor. There are a couple of issues in my opinion with this, the first issue is the "sit and watch" training:blink and connecting this to, being taught by people who have no idea and no interest or desire to learn IT makes this a diffcult training technique.

I.e., someone phones up "hi, id like to log a call about blah blah", and when i ask the trainer, what exactly is blah blah, they reply........i dunno, i just log it and pass it on:eek:

With the training as well, there is so many gaps, gaps which people seem to know bits and bobs about, but not exactly the whole issue, and this infomation seems gained from bits and bobs they have learnt from someone else. Its a bit mad:D, maybe this is the world of IT?:oops:and these gaps lead t so much miscommunication and confusion and hence the problem, takes longer at times than it probbably should do to be resolved. We have a inhouse reference guide for calls, which contains mininum data sets for calls, but quite frankly its poo, and sometimes the answers given are confusing to say the least.

Back to the job at hand though, its great when i get a password reset(as im now authorized to reset passwords and unlock accounts etc) its great because its something i can actually help with.

Perhasp there are more negatives in this post than positives, there isnt meant to be, as i do enjoy the job. Overall i think this is and would be an excellent entry level job for anyone trying to break into the IT sector. Future wise i cant see me being here in a years time, but im glad im here now and im glad i have my foot in that IT door:)

Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Congrats on landing the first IT job mate, that’s a BIG step.

Get that years experience, update your CV and see what’s out there. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yep what Sparky said

hope it goes well for ya :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

If you want to progress, then research the things the trainer says "I dunno" about. Either on google etc, or, if suitably disguised (if nesssesary) here.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Good on ya!
    Look at this way- you're on the ladder you want be on. The only way is up!
    Cheers
    NB:D

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  6. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

Yep on the first step but it was a big leap:thumbleft

Finish your A+ then 1 years experience on your CV your looking good!

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Glad you're enjoying the job, mate. :D

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Those are the people who stay on help desk or on first line support... they don't take any initiative to learn or advance. Thus, you will get experience and advance... and they'll continue doing what they're doing until they give up.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

My first IT job was just the same, basically sit and watch. I think it's very poor, but after a while you pick it up and get one with it. But yeah good job on landing the job.

Kraven

Certifications: Network+, MCSA, 70-680
    WIP: A+, 70-685
  10. oztrailrider

oztrailrider Nibble Poster

Congrats on your first job, you are certainly putting yourself on the path to bigger and better things. I can't wait to be back in a job I enjoy and actually look forward going to work in the morning.

Certifications: MCP (70-270)
    WIP: A+
  11. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

yep that sounds like first line support, all password resets and setting up printers, we've all been there so grit your teeth and get the experience for a year and move on up. Sounds like they are a little more restrictive though than most first line supports, we used to be able to remote machines and a number of lo key servers, but even then it was a little repetative.:rolleyes:

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing