A+ looking for a job

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Latty87, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Latty87

Latty87 New Member

hi there basically im doing the MCSE course and ive passed the A+ recently and was wondering whats the best starting role job.
    i would prefer a ideal job as a service repair technitan like more practical hands on aproach to actually repairing and servicing the computers. im not after any admin role not thats its proberly a good job its just not my thing in IT.
    ive looked over the posts in here and most are pointing towards getting a 1st line/helpdesk job? which i wouldnt mind doing if its going to get me started.
    but what sort would suit me best overall eventually once ive passed all the exams?
    also is there any harm in trying to get experiance in a computer repair shop?

2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there you could have really made an intro first in the relevant place :wink:

Have you got any IT experience at all? If not I wouldn't do the MCSE course yet, you need 6 - 12 months experience.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you're not in a server admin role, and you're not looking to get a server admin role (which would be almost impossible without real-world IT experience), then why are you taking an MCSE course? As Wizard stated, the MCSE is designed for people with 12 months of real-world IT server administration experience. Not 12 months in IT... but 12 months administering servers.

Getting a job in a computer repair shop is a great plan. However, the MCSE will not be very useful in getting a service repair technician job, because the MCSE doesn't have much to do with doing PC repairs.

I would recommend that you pursue the A+, Network+, and MCDST... and no further until you get some real-world IT experience.

Best of luck!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I agree, another cert that you may want to look at is the MCITP: Consumer Support Tech if you're looking to work in a Computer repair shop, you are most like going to be supporting home/small business users with Vista.

And like it's already been said, unless you have the revelant experience, forget about the MCSE :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Latty87

Latty87 New Member

ok thank you for the advice i have no real world experience at all yet.
    so you reckon i should stop after ive done the MCP and MCDST if im not going to pursue an admin role

6. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

An MCSE or whatever it's name is changing to is probably a waste of time. I own a computer repair shop and 99% of what I do is covered by the A+, Network+, and a few MCP exams. The most complicated thing I've had to do lately was install a new server as a domain controller for a local insurance firm. I'm not even sure why they use the damned thing as there's not a single custom GPO in place and everything they do is via Citrix or Web apps on remote servers. DCPROMO, transfer FSMO roles, done.

I'm studying for some Vista exams, will be taking an exam for MacOS, and am doing a few odd CompTIA certs given that I live in a rural area and a lot of my customers are using RFID tags for cattle now. I'm not sure about the MCDST. It would be helpful in a large corporation maybe, but I maybe have two people a year coming in with MS Office problems. You can usually Google up a fix to those inside of five minutes so there's not much point to the cert unless you're trying to impress someone.

Which bears mentioning. My customers find my certs impressive and my insurance provider finds them reassuring. They also differentiate me from my competition who is most assuredly NOT certified (and also bereft of higher brain function if his work is anything to go by). So they are valuable to me in that respect.

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs