A little question for you...

Discussion in 'Software' started by juice142, Jul 4, 2007.

1. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

Ok you bright bunnies, your starter for ten.

I need to set up a PC at work for users who do not usually have access to a PC. The requirements are that only a browser is available (IE6) and that only a specific URL is reachable.

This is so that they can log in to our new HR software to book holidays etc.

The OS is W2K SP4 and it can be on our domain (Server 2k3) if needed.

Go. 8)

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Have to be a PC?

What about a Thin Client?

Failing that - Windows XP Embedded is a good option - if you can get hold of it.

You could use Group policies to lock everything down, then use autologon to log on with a specific (limited rights) user account and configure IE to use Kiosk Mode

That should get you started!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

If you are prepared to change that machine to XP then the M$ "Shared Computer Toolkit" would probably be a good start.
    I see that M$ have now changed the kit to "SteadyState" for Vista.

This loks down the machine very effectively, so your locking of the browser should (ha!) be the only change required.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

Thanks for the replies guys. :thumbleft

I'll install XP and see how I go. 8)

J.

5. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Are they actual workers, or is this also for guests?

If they don't need *proper* network access at all, can you patch them on to a 'dirty' ADSL line without them touching the main network? We have a client PC configured that way; it saves us from the time and effort of locking down on Group policies.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  6. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

Hi Arro,

These PCs are for workers but we can access the HR app from both inside and outside the domain (it's web based). So yes, they don't have to be on the domain at all.

I've got a while on this, not too urgent yet, so any suggestions are very welcome. I've got the time to play and see which solutions fit the bill best.

Thanks again everyone,

J.

7. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I'd go with what zeb said, thin clients, you can lock them down just to use IE.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  8. MartinZ

MartinZ New Member

Hi There,

Don't waist time and money.
    You already have a w2k machine? good:

1. a clean install is always welcome
    2. create a gpo for this machine. here, you can tight as much as disabling the shell, and authorise only IE6 and the requested list of websites. GPO must be applied to 'everyone', and administrators should not apply it.
    3. using a local user to the machine (with autologon), will ensure the user don't have any access to your domain

I would prefer this solution to the 'dirty' one mentioned above: after a while Arroryn has probably to do some maintenance, if not reinstalling everything...

I think it should do fine...

Martin

Certifications: MCSE 2k3
    WIP: 70-299
  9. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Nope. Although I appreciate my solution appears a 'quick and easy' fix, it takes very little maintenance if set up correctly. The PC is only there to act as client internet access, for meetings, datarooms and suchlike. It has scheduled antivirus scanning and definition updates and OS updates, and no worthwhile programs to speak of - so there wouldn't be a lot of 'everything' to reinstall if it all did go belly-up. It's set up in a Workgroup, so it's not attached to the main domain, but it has our remote access software installed for easier troubleshooting.

So unless the PC melts it tends to be hassle free. But let's face it: it's a Dell. Anything is possible :rolleyes: :biggrin

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA