A little advice please.

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by beardy, Dec 11, 2007.

1. beardy

beardy New Member

Hello

I work in a small office (6 people) and part of my job role is looking after the IT of our office. Now in reality this means, general trouble shooting/desktop support. Basic stuff I have picked up over several years of playing around with machines (software more than hardware). Anything outside of my knowledge is passed over to a support company we keep on retainer.

I have been wanting to train and work within the IT industry for several years now, but due to lack of experience, most jobs I could apply for were not feasible due to the salary drop, (Young family, mortgage etc…)

Our office of 6 is turning into an office of 40 and I have managed to blag a 50/50 job split between my current position and looking after the IT for the whole company.

Hopefully this is the start of my career change and, after time with the right training I will be spending most of my time on the IT side.

Obviously I am not expected to know everything and we will be keeping the support company on retainer for as long as needed. But my company have agreed to pay for training and exams which I need to look into.

I was initially thinking along the lines of the MCSA/MCSE, however, from reading the articles on this forum (which is brilliant I hasten to add), this possibly is not the best place to start? Maybe I should be looking at other courses?

CompTIA A+ ?

Now from a current situation perspective - Desktop support is most likely to be the biggest initial input I will have to make, so maybe MCDST would be the place to start

The company’s business critical systems and email are managed abroad so apart from making connections to these from new PC’s, I will not be involved in that side of things. So I really need training in managing and administrating an office network with remote users. (sales people within the UK)

The other side I need to consider is that nothing is permanent. The office may drop down to 6 people again in 3 or 4 years or it could increase further. So I need to use this opportunity wisely so I can gain several years experience and have the right kind of accreditation behind me so that should a full time IT role become unfeasible for my current employer, I can then have the right kind of experience and training behind me to make me more attractive to future prospective employers.

Appreciate any input.

P.S. if I am committed and willing to dedicate my time, is an online training company any better than the Microsoft self paced stuff?

2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Well done - sounds like a good position to be in!

Offer to *do* as much as you can. Explain if you don't know, you are prepared to find out and put the time in to make things work.

Certification wise, A+, Network+ and MCDST will give you a good baseline. From there, I would suggest you take cert's in what you use on a daily basis; there is nothing like taking an exam on something you use on a daily basis.

Good luck, Simon

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome

Boyce advice is spot on start with the A+,N+ then MCDST and when you have enough experience start looking at higher certs like MCSA and MCSE

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Boyce is spot-on - A+, Network+, and MCDST are right up your alley. This COULD be the start of your IT career!!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. beardy

beardy New Member

I have only just started looking into training and have read the first few pages of the A+ (Mike Meyers) on amazon. Which does seem to be a good start.

Forgive my ignorance!!! but,

What advantage would the A+, Network+, and MCDST route give me rather than jumping straight in with the MCSA.

I understand it would make the MCSA easier to understand but would the MCSA not cover most things in greater detail and give me a more advanced cert?

6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Welcome to CF! I definitely agree with what has already been said. Good luck.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  7. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

This is just how I got started, grab it with both hands mate!

As the others have said, A+, Net+ and MCDST is the way to go (I've stalled with the certs at the moment due to cash flow but am getting the real 'hands on' that you need to progress. MCDST in the new year for me!). Walk before you can run and you'll do fine. You know how to eat an elephant? A little bit at a time!

Good luck! :thumbleft

J.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  8. ManicMonkey

ManicMonkey Kilobyte Poster

It shows progress, only jump certifications if you have been doing the relevant job for a long time and not been bothered about quals. In your case it would be better to get the base line certifications and then work up. Theres no reason why, if your confident enough you could not do them fairly close together.

It also implys to the company that you will stick around, if you go straight for the higher level certification they might think you are looking to jump ship? (not all companies would i must add)

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: Exchange, Share point - MOM as well
  9. beardy

beardy New Member

OK Thanks Guys.

A + book on order and planning quite a few nights in.

Appreciate your help.