A little advice please

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by plimsole, Aug 28, 2007.

1. plimsole

plimsole New Member

i enjoy studying from home and am soon to start a+ im not very experienced in it just have the NVQ level 2 and 3, just wondering what options there are after a+ what can be acheived from home through self study and what people have done themselves, many thanks

Certifications: nvq level 2 & 3 IT
    WIP: BSC IT
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

To be honest you can achieve a lot of things through self study. Anywhere from A+ to CCIE, MCSE, CEH, etc that is providing you have the experience. It all depends on what you would like to specialize in.

First when you start you have to start with the basics, which is like you said A+, then maybe Network+ and MCP. These types of certs will give you a good foundation, basics and understanding.

There are great books out there for self study and they are very affordable, a lot more cost effective then a provider.

A lot of members on this forum including me have obtained their certifications from self study and they will be the first to tell you that, that is the way to go.

If you are looking to start with A+ there are a few great books that you can get which are the A+ All in One by Mike Meyers and PC Technician Street Smarts: A Real World Guide to CompTIA A+ Skills by James Pyles(Tripwire :D )

Anyways good luck with the study and hope you do well. If there is something you don't understand you could always pop up on CF and ask away

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

As Prof mentioned, you can do EVERY certification through self-study. Some are harder than others, and your experience level has a lot to do with that.

Like Prof, I'd also recommend Network+ next, and you might also consider the MCDST (which will get you the MCP cert after your first of two exams).

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. plimsole

plimsole New Member

much appreciated

Certifications: nvq level 2 & 3 IT
    WIP: BSC IT