a lil help :)

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by keithmoon, Mar 25, 2010.

1. keithmoon

keithmoon Byte Poster

Hi all,

A job I like the looks of has come up so after a few phone calls an application pack has been sent out to me :) the role is IT feild engineer sounds fairly straight forward to be honest bit of cabling , some app support and some hardware support. The head of It has also suggested I send in my C.V but I dont think its upto much and was wondering if you guys would be kind enough to take a look and gimme some pointers :)

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. OnFire

OnFire Nibble Poster

Only had a quick look but here what I have:

In personal statement/profile it's spelt alot not allot

Me personally would either lose Major Achievements since they are all certificate related and you have duplicated this later on, or use this section to describe projects you have successfully done/work related stuff.

Experience format is a little weird and not easy to understand at a glance. Having the date twice looked like it was a different position with a poor description. Maybe lay it out like:

DATE COMPANY
    POSITION
    DESCRIPTION
    XXXXXX

NHS Job change "from where they support over 10,000 IT users." to "from where WE support over 10,000 IT users."

Format changes half way through to bullet points. It screams lazy, lack of attention and no pride taken in your work. (Not getting personal, trying to get you the job)

Clean up formatting so everything is evenly spaced.

Lose hobbies and interests, no one cares.

Hope this helps.

Certifications: See Signature
    WIP: None....at last!!
  3. Col

Col Byte Poster

Here's a couple my thoughts. For what they're worth. Four pages is probably too much. If you're sending it on spec, it'll look like too much hard work to wade through and will probably end up in the bin, unread. I'd say try and condense it down to two pages max. This can be done by using bullet lists and tables. I'd also say that it's a good idea to keep the hobbies and interests section but to keep it brief because a) it makes you look like a rounded human being with interests outside of work and b) gives them something to talk about in interview to get some sense of what you're like personality-wise, rather than just getting a sense of what you know, what certs you've got. Plus it gives you a chance to put something in that makes your CV stand out if you've got some kind of unusual hobby or interest. Just my two cent's worth....

Certifications: A+ Network+ MCP MCDST MCITP
    WIP: CCENT Security+
  4. keithmoon

keithmoon Byte Poster

thanks guys much appreciated :) anyone else has any further suggestions im all ears :)

5. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Basically the same as Col and OnFire have stated.

Condense down to 2 pages and sort out the formatting to give it some more 'ooomph' :D

Also, there is a typo on
    , should be 'INTERESTS'.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Actually it's spelt as two words, a lot, not alot and not allot.

Lose the major achievements and replace it with a list of core skills.

The formatting needs cleaning up. Everything needs to line up and use the same bullet points throughout each section much like the IT support section. Also the spacing between one point and the next as well as each section needs to be consistent.

NHS is spelt NHS everywhere, not NHS and then Nhs. Also as pointed out above, in the NHS section change it to WE. You were part of the team right?

In the phonegate section you end with Responsibilities and Achievements: (where are they?)

Try to cut each employer section to no more than 5 statements.

Lose the training section and put that statement into the quals and education.

Lose the Hobbies and interests section too. I wouldn't hire you because you're interested in modified car shows but because you can do the job. If I want to know that much about you I'd ask in the interview.

Maybe consider losing the 96-2002 education section about your school grades (unless it's an English thing and employers want to see it). Try to keep it more IT oriented.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. keithmoon

keithmoon Byte Poster

thanks guys anymore just fire away :)

8. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I will take this from the top, this is how I would change the CV.

Profile (drop the : from all the subject headings).

This should be a profile about you rather than a mission statement, you need to change this to describe you rather than what you want.

for example my old cv had the following as a profile statement.

Now obviously you would need to change that to more suit you but it gives you an idea.

Technical Skills and Knowledge Summary

for example.

• Microsoft Windows Desktop and Server Design
    • Compaq\HP\IBM\Dell and Lenovo Hardware
    • Desktop Support and Administration
    • Mobile Devices

Professional Qualifications

Certifications both IT and Academic

Major Achievements

This should be major achievements in the work place rather than personal achievements, after all they want to see what you are good at in the work place.

Career History

Using your latest first going back, ideally you should also have the latest job having the most information and tapering it off the older the positions. As an example my most recent jobs have 8 different items in there (bullet pointed) where as my oldest has a single line.

Personal Information

DoB
    email address
    married?
    interests.

I would leave interests in there because it shows a human side and can also be a talking point during the interview.

You definitely need to tidy up the format of it, either keep to bullets or not but don't mix them like you have.

I have to be brutally honest with you here, if I was handed that cv as it stands now I wouldn't hire you simply because the cv is such a mess, if you can't take pride in looking after the first thing I see about you why should I trust you to have pride in doing the job I am interviewing you to do, don't get me wrong you could be the best out there but as first impressions go (and the cv is your selling point after all), this one isn't a good one.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Although I have not looked at your CV, I agree with what Nugg says. Repped.

With regards to the employer section, I personally go a little more extreme: I give ONE line (one or two sentences) that states my job responsibilities. For example, I say, "Provided on-site and remote hardware, software and network support and training". What kind? Doesn't matter, really; the technologies I know how to support are listed at the top of my resume under the EXPERIENCE section. And if you want to know more, you can interview me to find out.

Nugg's right about the "Hobbies and Interests" section. Dude, you've got approximately 15 seconds to get your CV noticed. And everything "extra" you include in there will either a) distract them from the technical stuff they are looking for or b) not get seen at all. If they want to know your hobbies and interests, they can ask you during the interview. When I'm reviewing resumes, I couldn't care less about whether you enjoy camping, root for my favorite hockey or football team, or play European-style board games (although I do enjoy playing them with co-workers). I want to know if you are well-suited for the job I have available. The human side WILL come out in an interview... it always does. And you're likely to get that interview if you can focus on what value you can bring to a company.

Just my 2c from the point of view of someone who has reviewed resumes for employment and has sat on the other side of the interview table.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!