A Lab in the Cloud...

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by Gav, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

Hi All,

I’m currently setting up a test environment for fiddling about with various Microsoft products.

I’ve decided to do it on a dedicated server in a DC because it’s only marginally more expensive than the cost of keeping a server running at home 24/7, and I’ve got a very good deal.

In terms of what OS I can run (I can only use pre-provided images), I’ve got a choice of ESXi or Hyper-V (on Server Core).

I’ve got two external IPs, one which will be used for management, and one which I want to point a virtualised server running MS TMG. I’ll then set up all the VMs with local addresses, using the TMG server as their gateway to the internet (see my super-crude diagram below).

http://i52.tinypic.com/spisfn.jpg

I’ve now got to choose which hypervisor I use...

I’d much rather use ESXi, as I’ve used it before (locally) and I’m happy configuring it. My biggest concern is that the management interface will have to be on a Public IP (unless I put the management interface behind the virtualised TMG, which isn’t ideal), and ESXi doesn’t have much in the way of firewalling built in.

The other option would be to use Hyper-V running on Server 2008 R2 Core. This is fine, and I’m happy to use Hyper-V, but I wonder whether the same problem applies? Should the management interface for Hyper-V be on a public facing IP?

My other problem is actually configuring Hyper-V from across the internet; without any easy way to VPN into it, it’ll require a fair amount of ‘hackery’ to get working the way I want.

Do you guys have any thoughts/tips for me?

Thanks,

Gav

(For those who’re interested, it’s a Quad Core i5 @ 2.8Ghz, 16GB RAM, 2TB HD on a 100Mbps Port! :-D)