A job or a con?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by twizzle, Jan 12, 2011.

1. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Well seems i may be out of work soon. I'm bit fed up in current company and know they want rid of me. So pre-empting this i'm looking at any jobs that could tide me over while looking for a better one or a new start.

So on the jobcenter website and i saw this : http://jobseekers.direct.gov.uk/det...d7ca-4699-9839-4ab43ba0abb3&pid=2&j=LUN/34400

Description

This is a home working vacancy. An interest in web design or optimising is essential. Duties will be designing and creating web pages. Temporary position for 3 months, but may lead to permanent for the right candidate. .
    By Europa International.

Now this i could do while at home out of work, but if i google the company name all i get is a furniture makers. So it got me wondering if this is a genuine post. It does seem like it could be a possible con as teh description doesnt give away much and they dont ask for any experience or qualifiactions just interest. What do you guys think?

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Does not look good mate.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Con. 100%. Steer clear.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Well thanks guys, basically confirmed my suspicions. As i couldnt find details of the company i thought it was a scam. I almost got caught out with a similar job on the website years ago. Luckily i went in the job center and spoke to some one who then told me they knew that particular job was a scam and they were removing it.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  5. Apoc220

Apoc220 Byte Poster

I've never been one to believe in work@home gigs. I'm sure they are out there, but I find it hard to believe that a company would entrust services to a total stranger unless it's in some consulting or managed service provider capacity. The sad part is that with the tough economic times there are most likely hundres of people who submit resumes to these ads with all their personal contact information. Then after that it's the pre-interview application and before they know it they have bought a house!

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: 70-680
  6. cosway

cosway Nibble Poster

Stay away.

About 3 years ago I took up one of these jobs, and I did get a lot of desgn work though, which I did and went live, but before I could get paid for my work the company made excuse after excuse of why the sites did not meet their requirements (even though the end clients had paid them and where using the sites), long story short you do the work, the end user pays the middle compnay, who then fob you off then go bust without paying you.

Its not this exact compnay but its easy to change a compnay name.

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA, A+
    WIP: MCSE
  7. gherking

gherking New Member

Hi twizzle,

I arrived at this page after googling the job code on the DirectGov site (LUN/34400).

I applied to the vacancy yesterday, and received the email you see below.

When I saw the job post, I googled his email address. They were on business listings sites next to a book store and a nightclub. Not good :eek:

Secondly, the email below describes a system where the designers that applied for the job 'compete' with a bit of initial planning and sketches for every project needed, then someone is selected.

This reeks to high heaven of a con - I don't design for free like it's some kind of competition entry. I charge clients for the initial plans I make even if they decide cancel plans.

What do you make of this?

G

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011