A job in IT

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by zxspectrum, Jan 21, 2006.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Ok , so my local job centre has a job advertised for a data entry clerk, which im sure isnt rocket science apparently ill need knowledge of microsoft excel , but im sure id pick that up in on time. The qeustion is as this would be a starting point in the IT industry , where could it take me from there, i really think id only like this job for 3 months max as id get bored then really not put all my effort into the job ??? Any ideas folks :rolleyes:

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

yes, this a start and "the foot on the ladder" on the ladder i take you are looking for. Best of luck if you decide to apply :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. zxspectrum

Cheers boyce. But where do i go from there as i say i reckon i could suus the thine within 3 months so what could i go after when thats over ??? and would another employer look at that in a bad way .

4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Spec,

Yeah, but you would have the foot on the ladder as i presume you aren't in IT at the mo?....

From there if there is no way to progress, then you have the relevant experience in your CV and ready to look elsewhere if needed :D

5. zxspectrum

Youve guessed right , i aint in IT at the mo. Ive been looking for a way in, but never been sure what route to go down . And ive never trusted companies who claim to get you passed within a week and get you a 25k job . Ill apply for it and se what goes . Ideally i would love a 25 k job and i know i need to start somewhere, i just dont know whethere ill be wasting my time , or if i should ditch the whole thing and go to UNI in sept ????

6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Uni or Certs... The choice is yours matey. If you are young enough you could benefit off both. BSC in Computer science is more geared towards programming as far as i know

7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

It sounds like you are not interested in the job to start with so that cant be a good thing.

Just out of curiosity what do you expect from your first IT job?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. zxspectrum

Id likesomething to make me want to wake up in the morning and be a bit of a challenge , i cant see this job being like that . I know i have to start somewhere, and im not afraid of work , i like it especially when it makes me tick etc. Now computers do that, but i hate wasting my time etc ??? does that make sense ???

9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

It does make sense; perhaps the uni route is a better option then? Its hard work but good fun at the same time!

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. zxspectrum

cheers for that sparky, i think ill go down that route, tho i have to wait till sept , and i know i can get a good money job working aboroad in holland till then. Thanks all for your views as well