A+ : Implementing hard drives

Discussion in 'A+' started by christof, Oct 26, 2004.

1. christof

christof Nibble Poster

I'm half way through this chapter in the Mike Meyers book, and it has me totally confused.

Most of everything else I've read so far, I've been able to make sense of and understand, and with a second read through feel I would have a good grasp, but this section on the hard drive implementation has turned my brain to liquid!

It's probably cause I have no experience at all with partioning and volumes etc. the other stuff I have either a decent idea on or have done it at least once before.

I'm only running XP home on my machine, and have only 1 hard drive so I can't even tinker as I'm going through the chapter.

Has anyone else had this problem at some point in their study?
    How have you managed to get around it?

Certifications: certificate of life!!!
    WIP: A+
  2. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

You could always buy yourself another HD if you had the funds. :D This is the way i would go, they can be bought pretty cheap these day's, and everyone could alway's do with a bit of extra storage.

Also with another HD (although you could just use the second partition if you have one!) you could install, say windows 98. That way, you have a copy of XP (NTFS) and Win98 (FAT) to play with. As I'm sure you know, there are allot of difference's in the file systems, and this would enable you to get used to both.

It would also give you the oportunity to play around with installing and configuring a HD, very easy to do, but it's always good to have some experience.

Just my 2p :D

HTH

Andy

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

firstly
    try to pick up another hard drive, and tinker, small ones go for 20 - 40 quid new!

which part exactly are you not getting? ill try and explain a bit when i get back this evening

Edit: err punkboy, you can still create FAT partitions in XP, you dont need to install 98 to see a FAT partition

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Oops I realise this,:oops: somehow I got my wire's crossed. Ohwell, it's still early here lol :gmorning

However, the point I was trying to make was the difference in how the OS's work.

Sorry I wasn't to clear on that lol

Note to self: NO more early morning post. :)

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  5. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

A lot of your brain is already liquid, so I wouldn't worry about it.

VMWare is ideal for messing about with disk configurations.
    Go to www.vmware.com, register, then donwload the eval verison of Workstation 4.5.It lasts for 30 days, but you can always renew it under a different email add.

The disks will be virtual of course, so you can't practice physically installing them, but you can practice partitioning and volumes all you like.

6. christof

christof Nibble Poster

@ Phoenix

I think what a lot of it is, is that the explanations in the book are excellent by Mike Meyers if your sat in front of your PC, and are in a position to tinker. They're very step by step. Which is great, I'm not moaning, but if your not in that position, it makes reading the info and procedures.....well boring and hard to follow.

It strikes me as the sort of chapter where you can't just read through it a few times and say OK I understand that now, you have to get your hands dirty so to speak.

@flex

thanks for that. I'm downloading it as I type.

I think this will give me an excellent excuse to go to the computer market again on Saturday!:biggrin I'm quite fortunate in that I live about 20mins away from one of the biggest in the north west.

I'm always like a kid in a sweet shop at those things, not knowing where to turn....... oooooh a wireless keyboard and mouse set, I'll take it! Do I need more memory, I'll take 1gb please sir! what about some new speakers.

I've just seen my switch card run and hide, it knows it's in for a spanking now on Saturday!

7. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

If you need any real time help to get you up to speed, just PM me your msn or yahoo add if you like.

Which computer market is that Chris?
    I live in the north west, Southport, so Manchester isn't too far a treck for me if I can blag a lift lol.
    Wouldn't mind going to one, they sound interesting.

8. christof

christof Nibble Poster