A few questions..

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by jonnytabpni, Jan 27, 2008.

1. jonnytabpni

jonnytabpni Bit Poster

Hey guys, as in my other forums post, I passed my 70-271 exam yesterday!! :D

I's currently a 1st year student studying a Masters in Electrical and Electronic Engineering however I also have a sideline in which I run my own IT business going door to door helping users with their IT issues. During my placement year (after my 2nd year of Uni), I would like to go into an IT-related firm so I guess these MS certs will help....

I also intending on doing the 70-272 exam to attain the MCDST

Anyways I have a few questions:

1) After I do 70-272, should I do the Vista upgrade exam (70-621) to keep myself up to date? AN MCITP sounds very attractive!!

OR

Should I first go and do a A+ cert and go back to the vista upgrade exam at a later date?

2) If I do the vista upgrade, can I still call myself an MCDST as well as a MCITP or do I only get to use the latter?

3) I am getting a lot of stationary (leaflets under my trading name and business cards) made for my business which has the "Microsoft Certified Professional" logo on it. Will I still be able to use this if I get the MCITP?

4) What is the best revision material for the vista upgrade exam? Due to cost, I'm a bit reluctant to purchase the books for the 70-620/622 as I already have the books for the XP 271/272 however I fear this may be the only option...

Many Thanks for the help

Jonny

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You can... but I'd recommend the A+ and Network+ first. If you choose not to do the A+ or Network+, that's fine too... just a suggestion. :)

You can use any of the certifications you have achieved, provided they are still valid. The MCP and MCDST will never expire. The MCITP must be renewed every 3 years, I believe.

See above. You can use whichever you choose.

The XP 271/272 books are wholly different from the Vista 620/622 books. After all, they cover different exams and different OSes... they have to be different. You can't use the XP books to study for the Vista exam. :)

I'm sorta partial to this book for 70-620. 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. jonnytabpni

jonnytabpni Bit Poster

so if let's say I take the vista upgrade, and after 3 years it expiers (then I can't call myself a MCITP) , can I still call myself a MCDST?

cheers

4. no_one_here

no_one_here Bit Poster

jonnytabpni, I believe BosunMichael ha already answered your question. You can call yourself an MCDST for as long as the cert remains valid.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation, MCDST Network+ A+
    WIP: 70-270
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

NOH answered correctly - you are an MCDST for life, according to Microsoft.

Regarding the expiration of your MCITP... just don't let it expire.... renew it. :) Microsoft has not made their renewal policy entirely clear yet, but it is expected that you will have to retake a single exam to renew it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!