A few newbie questions !!

Discussion in 'A+' started by Vapor, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Vapor

Vapor New Member

Hi..

I've taken some advice and gone for the A+ first instead of the MCDST, I take it that's the way to go.
    I'm a touch confused on what exams you have to take, Is it the Essentials with 602 or would I have to take 603 and 604 as well to get a certificate ?

Thanks for any advice :biggrin

2. The_Dark_Side

The_Dark_Side Bit Poster

Hi Vapor,
    If you are looking to go for the Microsoft Route i.e MCSA/MCSE then I would personally go for MCDST as you then start to understand Microsoft logic and how to support & troubleshoot XP.
    However, if you are looking more to hardware training / Comptia Route, then the A+ is a good starting point.

The 602 with Essential is the best way to go as the 602 is more comprehensive than the 603/604 although there is little differance.

You can see a good A+ Breakdown here: Comptia A+

Good luck!:D

3. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

You should look forward alround certifications A+, then Network+, then MCDST then the MCSA.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: Server+, Vista,
  4. Vapor

Vapor New Member

Thanks for the advice !!

Personally I would feel more comfortable going down the Microsoft route. Would it be insane to dive straight in and study MCDST ?

Not sure what to do ? :hhhmmm

5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

If you have no commercial experience the you should go for the A+ and N+ first then MCDST. If later on you decide to do the MCSA then the A+ and N+ combined count as one of the electives for the MCSA.

As for you question, to pass the A+ you need to pass two exams, you have to pass 220-6-1 Essentials and one other most people take 220-602 IT Technician exam.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. The_Dark_Side

The_Dark_Side Bit Poster

Hi Vapor,
    You could just try one MCP or get both but the Windows XP System Support MCDST 70-271 is quite straighforward and some companies will allow you to buy one MCP at a time and so if you strugle (unlikely) you could then go back to A+. Books/online training is flexible for this.
    Have a read up on the MCDST (link to a comapany that allows simgle orders). Or buy a book and judge for yourself.
    If you are considering college method, then you best read up a bit more for your own piece of mind.:blink

7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

just to add you do not have to do a course to do any certs you can just buy the books and self study and when you are ready take the exam(s).

Most training companies will sell you a range of courses and charge you a hell of a lot of money for it but you can study on your own and get free advice & help on here.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

I don't find it straightforward at all,i'm getting totally bogged down in this subject and i have years of experience mainly with hardware, rather than the things that are tucked away in the operating system that the mcdst looks at.
    The mcdst isn't for beginners and the A+ is.
    Microsoft themselves say do the A+ first ,and then begin your mcdst.

The A+ to me is the easier one, the mcdst focuses on a lot of things people may not normally come across,i reckon you could have 10 to 15 years computer experience and still fail the mcdst,depending on your background.

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272
  9. Vapor

Vapor New Member

Thanks again to you all :biggrin

I think I'll go down the A+ road for now and see how I get on with it. I'll be self studying, off to Amazon right now !! :onthePC