A+ Exams help

Discussion in 'A+' started by zain, Jul 27, 2007.

1. zain

zain New Member

Hi
    (sorry if you have been asked this a thousand times...but)

I'm planning to sit my A+ 220-601 and 602 exams next week. I just finished a 2 week course studying both A+ courses. I've been using the transcenders practisce exams but i have been only able to achieve 50-60% for both exams.

Obviously i know i need more time to study, but would you guys say that is a good indiaction of where i am at? But i dont want to leave it to late in case i forget everything, as i will be doing other courses!

If i sat the real thing most probably would fail?

becuase the follwoing week i am starting MCP in Windows XP followed by server 2003 followed by more exams for both.

I need to pass the exams to get my job guarantee!

/Zain

Certifications: A+, Network +,MCP 70-270
    WIP: 70-290,70-271, MCSE, Cisco CCNA,
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

My view is that you are trying to do too much too quickly.

You should be looking to achieve about 80% on test exams before sitting the real thing.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

++ what harry said -
    50 - 60% is probably too low,
    And 2 weeks is too short a time unless you have experience (in which case I'd expect better than 50%)

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

2 weeks is really not long enough to learn the content needed for A+.

You'll need to be scoring higher before you take the real thing. Unfortunately, a practice exam can only accurately gauge your ability the first time you see a whole bank of unique questions. After you've already seen the questions, even ONCE, the practice exam can't accurately gauge how you'll do on the real exam. After all, you won't see those same questions on the real exam... they'll be all new questions that you've never seen before. They may be based on the same concepts... but the questions HAVE to be different (otherwise, the practice exam company can get into a heap of trouble!).

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I agree with the guys on this one. It seems like you should study a little more before sitting the exam. I spent around 4 months studying for the A+ before I took it.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

I'd have said if you regularly got 70% you'd have a good chance becuase some amount of questions in the A+ are no brainers that you don't have to study for which would give you that extra 10%. If you struggle to get half the questions right then you'll do the same on the real exams which in places were harder than a lot of the practice exams.

Have you used any other study info other than your course? (ie the Meyers 6th edition, other study guides etc)

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: MCITP: SA
  7. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

You could try this,

Get a couple of other other test exams say ucertify, prelogic etc.

Do a test every night and research your incorrect answers on the internet.

Buy an exam cram A+ book read it inside out use the flash card to read up just before you go in for your exam.

P.S. May your God be with you!

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  8. zain

zain New Member

Thank you very much for your advice guys i think i will leave it until the end of next month until i am 100% with all of A+ content. :D

Just when you take privately funded courses everythings done to a tight deadlines to ensure the job guarantee etc etc i'd be a fool and just wasting money and time to resit them when i know i'm not 100% clued up.

Just that the week after next i will be studying MCP windows XP Pro and the following week MCP Server 2003 then will have to sit the exams :eek: for those in following 2 weeks then finally another week doing Cisco only :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Certifications: A+, Network +,MCP 70-270
    WIP: 70-290,70-271, MCSE, Cisco CCNA,
  9. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

thats a way too hectic schedule. Im guessing that you havent got IT experience already, or you'd be scoring higher.

Your job garuantee... is this a conditional job offer from an employer you've received, or am I right in thinking that you have signed up to a training provider who has stated something along the lines of 'we garuantee you a job in IT earning [insert high figure] a year, provided you pass by x day!"?

If im right in my guess, and i really hope im not, then you need to take another look around these forums. Its the general consensus that these are unreasonable promises made. At best you will be in a job you are woefully unqualified to be in (i dont care what the pieces of paper say, if you cant do the job, you are unqualified), which will do nothing for your own self-esteem and confidence.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  10. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

Just following on from Fergal, I always wondered if this magoc job has to be a permenant vacancy. I guess they could sling you into a temporary contracted job and they would be absolved of having to get you a permanant job.

As the old addage goes "if it's too good to be true it probably is".

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: MCITP: SA
  11. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

It took me 6 months to get my CCNA and I was studying 12 -14 hours a week. And I'm no slouch when it comes to passing exams. The schedule you have is impossible.

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+