a+ exam form

Discussion in 'A+' started by raziel, Jul 10, 2011.

1. raziel

raziel Bit Poster

Hi

I'm rookie so pls forgive me if my question is obvious or silly :P

I learn for A+ by myself - I have all books. Now I tell you what I know and please correct me if I'm wrong.

CompTia A+ exam includes two separate exams: CompTIA A+ Essentials - 220-701; and CompTIA A+ Practical Application - 220-702. I have to pass them both to get A+ certyfication.

Now my questions:

1) what is the form of this exams ? I believe that Essentials is a multiple choice test so I just choose the correct answer(s) form listed answers. Right ? What about Practical Application ? What is the form of this test ? Also multiple choice test ? If it is why they call it "Practical" ?
    2) can I pass two exmas (Essentials and Practical Application) in one day ?
    3) is prometric good place to book and buy exam ?

cheers

2. Lozler

Lozler Bit Poster

Hi raziel!

Yes that's correct you will have to pass the 701 (Essentials) and the 702 (Practical Application) in order to achieve an A+ certificate.

the 701 requires 650/900 for a pass (Each question has a different mark for it, for example question 1 might be worth 30 points, question two might be worth 5 points etc)

the 702 requires 700/900 (Each question has a different mark for it again)

Both exams are on the computer in multiple choice format.

The reason why the 702 (Practical Application) is called "Practical" is because it tests you on Practical situations, for example the Essentials will test you on what is the fastest memory? And the Practical Application will test you on what to do when you see this type of memory error etc. I just recently sat my Practical application, and it's more to do with the troubleshooting side.

Yes you can book either with prometric or vue I believe, I book with vue because it's down the road from me :)

If you want discount off your exam, go to CompTIA Vouchers - A+ Certification Exam CompTIA Voucher Test Discount at Prometric / VUE Testing Centers

Cheers

3. raziel

raziel Bit Poster

thanks, you've been very helpfull

p.s. I have one more question....probably not the last one :)

I bought 2 books to prepear myself to this exam:

CompTIA A+ Cert Guide (220-701 and 220-702) Authors: Soper, Mueller, Prowse and
    CompTIA A+ 220-701 and 220-702 Exam Cram Author: Prowse

but I believe that those books were bublished in U.S.A so Soper, Mueller, Prowse are american authors...I think. Does it make any difference ? I think that there is no differences between A+ in U.S.A and U.K., right ?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  4. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

it's an american exam so you might find that you get questioned on the 110v / 240v switches on the PSUs as that will create a problem if it's switched to the wrong setting. But there isn't anything country specific in the test that i can remember.

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon
  5. raziel

raziel Bit Poster

Ok I booked A+ exam....finaly.

Questions:

1) I booked 11 Feb for Essentials (220-701) and 13 Feb for Practical (220-702)....do you think it's ok ? I mean just one day brake between exams ? I think this is better than do both in one day, to much brain storm as for one day. When do I know if I passed first one ? Straight away after exam ?
    2) I know that this is bad that I don't know it yet (30 days before exam) - home many questions are there for each exam ? And how much time do I have for each exam ?

Thank you

6. raziel

raziel Bit Poster

seriously no one knows the answers for this questions ?

7. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi raziel,
    In answer to your questions:-
    1)When I did my A+, I did both the exams on the same day - one after the other. So a days break should be fine. It's basically what you are comfortable with. You get the results straight after each exam.

2)There are 100 questions on each exam, with 90 minutes allowed for each exam. More info can be found here.

HTH
    NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  8. raziel

raziel Bit Poster

thank you very much :)