A+ Essential (220-701) and A+ IT TECHNICIAN (220-702)

Discussion in 'General CompTIA Certifications' started by chuckliddell, Nov 13, 2010.

1. chuckliddell

chuckliddell Banned

i am interested in the first entry level certifications,

i was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction as to what book i should be using as self-study

and what sort of jobs i should be applying for once i have at least these certifications.

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yep

Micheal Meyers A+ all in one exam guide 7th edition. This will cover both exams. His passport book will also come in handy as a revision tool.

Jobs you shoud be applying for.

1st line support
    1st line help desk support
    1st line tier support
    trainee IT technician
    tech support.

etc etc.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. chuckliddell

chuckliddell Banned

how much do these exams cost roughly?

thanks bruce for your answer to previous question, appreciated

4. greenbrucelee

if you pay peasonvue directly about £114+ VAT if you get somewhere with a discount vocuher usually the VAT is taken off.

5. chuckliddell

chuckliddell Banned

oh good stuff, i thought it'd be more, affordable to say the least.

thanks lee for your help :p

6. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  7. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

that looks lie it might be worth a look i'm doing the a+ course. Im studying from the dummies guide to a+ certification. It came with a cd that has a digital version of the book, a pdf lab document to look at and test exams. i;m about 1/2 way through it and think i'll be ready just after xmas for the test. not too sure where to go from there but i'm thinking of n+ or doing something like an SQL course or maybe java or php as i'm interested in databases and possibly coding my own software

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon
  8. greenbrucelee

Also get another book. THe A+ for dummies book has had some very bad reviews. One of the members here knows someone who used it for her A+ and kept on failing. She then picked up compTIA A+ all in one exam guide by Mike Meyers and nailed the exams. The current version of the book is the 7th edition.

9. chuckliddell

chuckliddell Banned

i will have just ordered the book, for £20 seventh edition.

one more question,

how long are both the exams?

cheers

10. veloce

veloce Byte Poster

+1

I too wasted 4 months on the Dummies book, found it shockingly inaccurate, going into great detail on areas that simply were not necessary.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: BSc Hons Computing & IT
  11. greenbrucelee

Everything is on the compTIA website but since I am nice both exams are 90 minutes long but you dont have to stay that long. I am not sure how many questions are on the new 702 practicle exam but when I did them both (I did the 600 series) there were 100 questions on the essentials and if I remember right 90 on the IT technician.

12. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

The 600 series had 100 questions on both and so should the 700 series. I used a different book by Andrews which was pretty good and huge too at about 1300 pages. I didn't use Meyers only because I didn't know about it at the time :( Do use more than one reference! Also, if you can get it done before year end so your certification won't expire in 3 years. In fact I won't put it off till after Christmas because first you might have trouble finding testing places open and second if you don't pass one exam, you'll hardly have any time to reschedule and miss the Dec. 31 deadline. Think about it!

Certifications: '07/'09 A+, N+, S+
    WIP: maybe something Apple
  13. chuckliddell

chuckliddell Banned

well, i am just starting out, so its most likely i wont be doing it by the end of the year

so if i get certified in 2011 and the expiry of 3 years has gone bye (2014) do i have to retake exams?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  14. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Only if you want/need to retain the certification for work purposes. If you don't renew, then you will no longer be considered A+ certified after the 3 years runs out. My theory is that, by that time, if you've been working in the industry for the three years, your experience will be more valuable than the certification. Presumably, if you've been working in the industry, re-passing the exams in 2014 should not be a big deal...it'll just cost you the cost of the exams again.

15. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

I believe there are also other ways of recertifying like Continuing Education credits and such. I have not looked into that because it doesn't effect at this point. Check out the CompTIA.org website and you should find the info about this if you look around enough. If you're just starting out without experience I'd say the end of the year would not be a realistic target. BosonJosh is right in that after 3 years you should have plenty of experience.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
    Certifications: '07/'09 A+, N+, S+
    WIP: maybe something Apple
  16. chuckliddell

chuckliddell Banned

thanks guys for the response,

i've read it and the CE in order to be certified, i want to get A+ done and then maybe move onto N+ S+,

you are correct in 3 years experience would be rated higher then the certification,