A day in a life...........

Discussion in 'A+' started by tysfoot, Jun 8, 2009.

1. tysfoot

tysfoot Byte Poster

hiys guys,

Ive still got my head in my AIO book at the moment at when i pass im going to apply for my 1st line support jobs but in the meanwhile is would be interesting to see what eveyone else does on this forum, and how your enjoying your job

A day in a life.......

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MCDST, N+
  2. swatto

swatto Byte Poster

check out: http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread31355.html

don't wait until you pass the A+ get searching now - something may come up for you even before you pass (it did with me) :biggrin

Certifications: BTEC Nat Dip: Software Dev, A+
    WIP: None Yet
  3. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Ive been in a Helpdesk role since October 07 and although Im wishing to progress further into IT Support, its still the best job Ive ever done up to date. It isnt for everyone, and at times i feel like bouncing my monitor across the room, but the good experiences outweigh the bad, and the comical experiences are remembered forever.

Latest comical experience:

My colleague got a user who could not connect via her own mobile broadband to our companies network.......basically the software for the usb dongle needed installing, and it wasnt going to happen with our policies for installing software

It was her first time connecting to network from home

He asked if she could connect via any other means, to which she said Ive got a wireless router as well.

He then spent a good 15 - 20 trying to get her connected, rebooting machine, the router, but it still wasnt having it.......

it seemed her wireless wasnt working, he asked her to connect her ethernet cable direct to the laptop, and discovered............................she didnt actually have any internet connection to her home:D

The poor woman, had gone out bought a router, came home and plugged it in...........not realising you needed to have a broadband connection to actually get on the internet....she assumed thats what the router was for.

days that like that...........awesome:D:p:blink

Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

hehe, yep had this last week too.. i asked, and who is your ISP? the answer.. um, what is an ISP? :p

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I used to be a "real tech", but now I write practice exam questions for a living. I absolutely love it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Work in a secondary girls school 'high' with 1100 pupils as an I.T. Tech. Some days can be pretty dull and others can be manic. Theres allot of routine stuff such as toner changing to re imaging or just simply turning something on. However there is also quite a variety of different things happening such as ongoing projects - deploying office 07, open source imaging server FOG.

Working in a school always means there can be 'interesting' requests and it can be rewarding plus you get to interact with the kids which can be cool now and again.

We have up to 800 servers/computers/laptops/printers etc and a 3D reality suite yet some days theres not always loads to do even with that in a team of three - one of who is game, web developer mainly. Kinda pushes me to want to work for larger companies or companies with a large number of clients in the future or teach I.T. - i hate having not allot to do or constant repetitive non challenging things.

A day in life:
    Get to work, drink coffee, catch up on any new emails, see if any faults, read the news, talk to colleagues. Days are kinda ad-hoc as faults or things get fixed I move onto next thing. Any projects get worked on in between, depends on what needs prioritize. We deal with any students/teachers who come directly to us usually straight away.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

How many servers mate? Looks like you should have enough IT kit there to keep you busy though.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Lol :P just all servers 800 of them. Enough for many saunas :)

Nah we have like 14 I think, I can't remember. Loads of lil ones get added when we had spare PC's such as WSUS, open source ghost server (F0g), then an exams server then another web server was needed for (a youtube type thing). List goes on as more stuff is added.

550 desktops roughly, 250 lapy's, then all classrooms have interactive whiteboards, 50 printers, then servers and anything else.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.