A+ and NET+ work books

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by christof, Sep 29, 2004.

1. christof

christof Nibble Poster

Just decided against going with computeach for the Networking professional course, based on things I've heard and read.

Been looking on Amazon at the works books for the A+ and NETWORK+ grade, there are a couple by a guy called Michael Myers that look to have got a good write up.

Has any one got any advise about doing these 2 grades with home work books, and which ones can be recommended.

I already have a basic grounding in computers, and hardware, but need to start doing something with my life!

Certifications: certificate of life!!!
    WIP: A+
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Get them if you can. Mike Myers is considered to be the man when it comes to those subjects. The books are also a very good read that keep you interested and with humour.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

What Nugget said, Mike has a great style of writing that makes a sometimes boring subject bearable, he might even make you laugh at some point. 8)

Also catch our exclusive interview with the author HERE

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  4. christof

christof Nibble Poster

how do you go on with taking the exams if you are going solo, and not with an agency?

What sort of time frame am I looking at if I go with the work books?

5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hey Christof,

All you need to do is search for your nearest VUE or Prometric test centre (sorry I dont have links to hand). I'm sure it's just a case of booking in advance (prob paying up front too).

HTH :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Christof Im studying for my A+...I finished my book about 3 months ago but due to being short of funds at the moment I am saving up to do my A+ exams hopefully sometime before Xmas or if that fails just after the New Year...but along the way I am still learning by doing some stuff on my PC and going to sites where I can lend some advice and learn from others too...like this site :D

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  7. christof

christof Nibble Poster

did you study from the work book?

How did you find it?

I've made a decision to study for the A+ and NET+ using the work books from Amazon. I'm obviously going to start with A+ work through that, how ever long it takes, and see what happens from there.

I'm thinking way ahead of my self here, but is it feasable to do the MCSE through the work books, or is it necessary to do it through an agency.

Noelg24 : Am I correct in assuming that the 24 in your handle is your age?
    What are you doing for a job? are you already in the IT industry, or are you like me and working towards that end?

8. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Yes I am 24...but feel 54!! :eek: anyway no I have a book called A+ Complete Study Guide by David Groth by a company called Sybex who are very well known...its over 900 pages long...and like the famous Mike Meyers he does make you laugh in some chapters and even adds some of his own experience. The book certainly does cover all grounds and I was really pleased with it after I finished reading. if you want some practice questions to do go to www.techbomb.com and you get a shot at 5 questions but they do change when you do more but later you will realise they are all the same but it still helps. I am currently working at BT for the faults department but I have been learning about PCs for 7yrs now...I didnt do any studies just read from PC Magazines (Personal Computer World and Computer Buyer) now I read PC Advisor every month when it comes out in the shops and just catch up on the latest technology and news...but I also visit the website giving out advice to people and also learn something for myself its a nice little community like this one :)...I am currently doing a website to start up my Computer building business...I'm a hardware fan you see...so the thrill of motherboards and CPUs and the rest really get my pulses racing (now I have admitted it :dry) but like you Christof I am going to do A+ then Network + then MCSE and once I get all 3 that will be it for me...in the end I am only looking to start computer business. I have built 3 PCs for meself over the years and have built PCs for a few other people and I have to say I am very happy with what I have acheived so far...may not be much but the rewards will soon be coming...so there you have it mate..

9. christof

christof Nibble Poster

I just turned 25 in July, that's the only reason I ask, its good to get a persective from people your own age group sometimes.

I'm a bit of a hardware man as well, built my own system, and upgrades etc, unfortunately I've had to send it in for repair to a local company! a problem to far has happened for me at the moment.

I'm looking to upgrade it soon any how, suppose this will force my hand to do it, and stop just talking about it!

What sort of system are you running?

10. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Its a AMD AthlonXP 2500(1.8GHz) overclocked to 3200(2.2GHz), 512MB 333MHz PC2700 DDR RAM, MSI K7N2 Delta-ILSR DDR 400 Motherboard with onboard LAN, SATA, IEEE1394 port. Maxtor 80GB HDD 7200rpm 8MB Cache and 40GB of the same make so total 120GB. 52x32x52x16x Combo DVD/CD-RW drive, 15" TFT LCD Monitor, wireless keyboard and mouse, Creative Soundblaster Audigy LS with 5.1 Surround Speaker system, MSI Mx4000 T128 AGP with 128MB RAM, 550w PSU, Antec Plusview 1000 case with side window and 5 LED fans and an Epson CX3200 all in one to round it off...and thats yer lot...oh and XP Home with SP2...

and you?

11. christof

christof Nibble Poster

it sounds quite tame in comparison.

AMD 2400+ (standard), Gigabyte GA7VAXP M/B, 512mb PC2700 DDR, 120gb Maxtor, MSI 128mb graphics, SB live. XP pro.

Never really tried the overclocking route, not sure how to do it safely so I've left well alone.

Just heard back fromthe technician that was looking at my faulty system, and he said that he's had to re-wire the whole PC. Not quite sure what he means, I don't think he did either!

12. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

what the hell happened to it in the first place?

13. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

The thing is you cant overclock the 2400 so I have heard only the 2500 barton core can be overclocked...fantastic processor...wouldnt change it for any other...

14. christof

christof Nibble Poster

something happened with the display. It would re boot when it felt like it, and the screen would just go strange, and wouldn't load into windows by any method.

It wouldn't even FDISK!

Any how they seem to think they've fixed it, I'll soon see, and they've been very good and installed service pack 2 for me! yippee

15. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

hmm...sounds familiar that...maybe it was more to do with a hardware problem such as memory...but hope it goes well...

16. christof

christof Nibble Poster

got the PC back today. Seems to be working fin at the moment.

They have put cable tidies ( spelt wrong! ) on the power cable coming out of the PSU. I have an Antec tru pwer 450W PSu, the dual fan. 1 under and 1 at the back, and there is a load of cables, and apparently they were bunched up behind the fan on the PSU causing it to overheat, and not work properly.

Seems stable enough now. I'm just about to order SISoftware's Sandra 2004 pro to monitor everything, unless any one knows of a better one?

17. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

There's deff a free version (trial, most like) available for download - just ask Google.

HTH :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  18. christof

christof Nibble Poster

I spoke to soon about the system being stable!

When I tried to install counter strike it re booted, then I managed to install it, played it then it re booted again.

I'm gonna stop messing around and just get a new PSU while I'm in Manchester this afternoon. Also I'll try and find the A+ work book in Waterstones and get started on that.

19. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well good luck mate...hope the books helps you to sort out the problem...