A+ advice

Discussion in 'A+' started by jedi-knight, Jan 23, 2006.

1. jedi-knight

jedi-knight Bit Poster

:unsure hey all, i signed up with scheidegger last june for the a+, n+, ccna & ccnp, just wanted to know how up to date this course is, what books to buy & websites to visit to aid my learning.

I was looking at the meyers all in one for £28 on amazon, but it is 2003 edition, new one being released in june.
    or the meyers A+ passport which is £14 but only half the size, but it is newer 2004, what do you guys reckon ?
    im just thinking that the cheaper one might be a better call as it is newer, but the all in one book has twice the info but need to know if the coursework from scheidegger is up to scratch.

also are there any IT training companies that offer a work placement while you train as I would defenantly want to get some practical experience, or are there any IT opportnities for unexperienced people, any info would be a help, cheers.

Certifications: dim o gwbwl
    WIP: A+
  2. binbox

binbox Nibble Poster

Hi Jedi-Knight good look with the cert's. I looked at Scheidegger a while ago I would have thought that all the material would be included for the price, but you can't go wrong with the Meyers books hope someone can give you more advice on which one.

If it's experience your after try and find a local PC recycling centre close to you a non-profit organization is best preferably with a MAR (Microsoft Authorized Refurbishers) License. I found mine through the local job centre, and I can honestly say it's the best thing thats happened to me endless experience with new and legacy hardware, desktops, laptops, printers, you name it. Because the stock would normally be scrap you get full hands as well as expert training from the employed staff.

Good look in the future :biggrin

p.s it would be interesting to know how good Scheidegger really are. :hhhmmm

WIP: A+ N+ SECURITY+ SERVER+
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Spend the extra few quid - get the Meyers All-in-One latest edition. You will not regret it. Oh, and hi - you might want to pop up to the New Members area and drop us an intro :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Have to agree here.. get the all in one by mike meyers even if its 2003 its the latest version.. you have 6 months to get your A+ if you work hard (which im sure you will! :biggrin ) you can get it!

guys new book coming out someone smell an update somewhere? :blink

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

So what have you been doing for the past eight months? :blink

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Croeso CF!
    Doesn't the provider give you all the material you need to pass the exams then? If, you want something to top up your media, then, yes Mike's A+ All in one is the book to get :thumbleft
    [​IMG]

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

6 Months... For those who have bought the 2003 edition (Me!), does this mean we have to sit the exam before the new version come's out... surely not?

Neall

8. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

What I think Zimbo means Neall, is that the latest edition of Myers book still maps to the 2003 A+ objectives, not the now updated 2005 ones.

I believe though that you still have six months to take the exam following the 2003 objectives, before the 2005 ones become the only option.

It does not however mean that you must take the exam within six months, simply that the objectives of the exam will have slightly changed to those that are listed in your text.

You can download the latest exam objectives from here
    8)

9. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Can't see anything on the Comptia site about new objectives for this exam. It is still talking about 2003. Where is this info?

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  10. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

:oops:

My Bad, it is the Network+ that has just been updated. :oops:

Really must check things out before responding! :rolleyes:

11. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

No prob - you had me worried there - as I am currently advising an aquaintance about how to get A+. :lol:

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  12. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

heh heh... heads have rolled for less! :eek:

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  13. law123

law123 Byte Poster

Can anyone follow up on the quote above and let me know where I may find a list of Microsoft Authorized Refurbishers. So I may find one local to my area. This is Hamilton just outside Glasgow Scotland

Certifications: None
  14. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

well i think for meyers to come out with another book an update must be in the pipeline i think... I THINK!! :rolleyes: 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  15. jedi-knight

jedi-knight Bit Poster

thanks everyone for resonding, looks like i will get the meyers all in one then, i will also look for a local pc recycling centre.

cheers all. :thumbleft

Certifications: dim o gwbwl
  16. binbox

binbox Nibble Poster

Your local council, housing association, or Job centre should be able to help, the pc's they receive tend to mainly come from the public sector NHS,MOD,DFES ect..

Hope that helps.
    And good luck.

17. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Here you go! 8)

18. binbox

binbox Nibble Poster

Nice one Simon didn't know they had a public list available.

You learn something everyday.

19. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Sounds like a good start to me :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  20. eyeball

eyeball Nibble Poster

hmmmm maybe time to get into that myself.

Certifications: A+, Network +, MCSA
    WIP: CCNA, MCSE+security