A+ Advice :D

Discussion in 'A+' started by alexdc12, Dec 14, 2010.

1. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

I got my exam guide (mike meyers 7th edition) on saturday and am already on chapter 10, i did have previous understanding of some of the stuff it goes through but nonetheless im reading it all beacuse its a good recap! now each chapter is averaging bout 30 pages and on week nights i can easily do i chapter, at weekends more, im understanding most of it and its going in, i try and remember all the terms and abbreviations at work the next day! What im thinking is that i have 16 chapters left, so thats 16 days max, now do i take this and book a test for say 20-30 days time so i can go into the exam with the book still fresh in my head? or not?
    Answers on a postcard!

Certifications: GNVQ Advanced IT, CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, 70-680
    WIP: 70-685, ITIL v3 Foundation
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You should get some practice exams first to see how your doing. The ones that come with the book are only shortened practice exam so dont reflect the real thing in terms of how many questions you get.

download some demos from Boson, transcender and preplogic but in my opinion Boson is the best. Unless your really confident then you should always use practice exams to see where you are weak on so you can brush up. It would be a shame to pay for two exams and fail.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

Yea its never about failing! i did the practice exams on the comptia website and got 64% on 701 and 57% on 702 and thats before reading book/watchin videos. and having not messed with a computer for many years! so i figured im on a good starting stone just need to freshen up and take in all the relevant info :D will def get on some practice exams first tho!
    Cheers bruce

Certifications: GNVQ Advanced IT, CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, 70-680
    WIP: 70-685, ITIL v3 Foundation
  4. Georgiesickjitz

Georgiesickjitz Byte Poster

Hi,first of all i used several pieces of study material.

Video}Train signal

Lots of exam prep,get a good feel for some of the questions you might have within the real exam.this for me is a very important step to get certified.

Make flash cards}I used cereal packets,card etc.

I hope this was helpful.The A+ is still really fresh in my mind,so if you have any questions,please do not hesitate to ask.good luck if you do decide to take your exam.

Certifications: CompTIA A+,CompTIA Network
    WIP: CCNA
  5. quuuaid

quuuaid Nibble Poster

Hi alex,

Personally, I read the entire book as a novel as Meyers suggests and then reread it and made notes from ch.4 onward. I also used the ExamCram book for revision using Kindle, but this included some outdated subject matter as far as the 2009 A+ is concerned.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST
    WIP: Drupal, PHP