A+ Advent Course - Workshop 29.06.09

Discussion in 'A+' started by jacks, Sep 17, 2009.

1. jacks

jacks New Member

Hi folks,
    I am studying through advent also and am attending the 29th/30th workshop in kidderminster this month. Bit of a long shot but .... basically i was wondering if anyone else is heading down to it from in and around the london area?
    I have never really went out on my own overnight like this and was hoping to cling on to a group
    of randomers such as myself who know no-one and are slightly petrified also?????
    Anyway it would be great to share the journey via train/bus or if there's a car person whos up for a spot
    of pooling with petrol funds then that would be great!

Also to those of you who have already attended a workshop please feel free to ease my anxieties and give me a bit of an idea of what to expect? ;) I have a horrible vision of being asked questions, not knowing the answers and looking like an idiot......or am i over thinking things and is it more laid back than that???? appreciate any info. :)

Many thanks :eek:

2. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Hi Jacks and welcome to the forum.

I am an Advent student myself - though a little further down the road then you but I am sure you will catch up!

First things first, relax about the course there will be people in exactly the same boat as you so you will not be on your own. However if you want to get a group atmosphere going dont rely on other people to do it, make the move - talk to some of the people during the breaks (the coffee is pretty good) and it should be a good start.

Secondly in the evening suggest to everyone that you all go ouyt for food - you can normally drag two or three along and there is a good pub just the otherside of the B&Q called the Water Mill. The Mill does two main courses for £10 so its a decent quality for a good price. To get there go out of Advent and arround to the street side of the building, turn left and head down the road, you will walk past a Cinema on your right and then pass the B&Q on your left a little further on. By this point you should be able to see a fairly big round about, go round this to the right and you will find an underpass take that and once on the far side carry on away from the B&Q and you will reach the Water Mill.

Where are you staying when you are up there, I can whole heartedly recommend the Bewdly Hill Guest house which is a pleasent 10 - 15 minute walk from advent across a park, the number will be in your welcome pack.

The last thing to mention is something people seem to forget on these courses - you are there for you, have fun, make friends with the people in the class as there is a good chance you will end up on modules with them in the future, but most importantly if you have a question ask - the tutors are all poretty friendly and mostly know their stuff so if you dont understand -ask and keep asking till you do understand.

Have fun!

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Take your cheque book for advent :D only joking.

I agree with what Gingerdave said, there will be people on that workshop who know nothing about computers apart from how to look at pr0n on the internet and there will be people on the workshop who know a bit about computers.

Don't fret about it and you will be ok.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Too late by that point - money has changed hands!

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012