A+ (601)

Discussion in 'A+' started by kirill_korolyov, Dec 11, 2007.

1. kirill_korolyov

kirill_korolyov Bit Poster

After a revision I finally had a big hope to pass my first attempt at 601 exam on the 7th of December.
    When I got there the exam questions where seemed not for A+ at all.:twisted:
    I mean it was soo hard that I couldn`t think properly :"Am I doing the right exam ?".
    I got 520 out of 675 to pass.
    I`m thinking doing 602 after new year ,maybe, around 10th then if I pass do the 601.
    Please help me GOD!!!!
    I want to talk to people who had similar problems.:oops:

Certifications: GNVQ ICT,ECDL part 1,AVCE ICT,A+ 601/2
    WIP: MCSE
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I didn't have this problem with the A+ (though I took a much older version), but it does sound like you were quite unprepared for the actual exam. What materials did you use to get ready to sit the exam (and I hope they weren't dodgy braindump sites)? My guess is that either your materials were inadequate to the task or you didn't study even adequate materials sufficiently. I don't mean that last part as a slam. Studying is as much an art as a science and it doesn't come easily to everyone.

Also, the exams (as they should be) are based on hand-on experience, not just what you can memorize out of a book. When you are taking the exam, it's a lot easier if you are recalling what tasks you've performed rather than what words you have read. That could also be one of the reasons you found the exam difficult.

Let us know the answers to these questions and we'll see what suggestions we can make to help you be more successful.

-Trip

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. klospros

klospros Nibble Poster

I also had no probs passing the A+, as everything was so new to me at the time I spent more time studying than someone who was already in IT. Try to do lots of practical stuff to remember where everything fits inside a computer, if you have a copy of XP, install a few times to get the feel for it, also on the sheet you get at end of exam does it tell you your weak points? If it does then thats a good starting place to look at.

Certifications: A+ 2006, MCP, MCDST
  4. kirill_korolyov

kirill_korolyov Bit Poster

I had some experience over 7 years of my own but I have never worked for an IT company.Also I was really prepared for the exam with alot of confidense in me.I mean only 100 points or so to pass next time it`s "defo" a pass.:rolleyes:
    Materials which I used where:Sybex CompTIA A+ Complete Study Guide not the Deluxe Edition covering all 220 (601 to 604) and my own experience.
    Recently I bought of ebay is a Mike Meyer`s A+ Certification Passport book :)

Certifications: GNVQ ICT,ECDL part 1,AVCE ICT,A+ 601/2
  5. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Some good points there raised by Trip:biggrin

Unless you can give us an example of which question you struggled on, it's hard to say.:blink

I know on my A+ I studied Win 98, 2000 and NT OS and then found the majority of the exam was on winxp OS and customer service questions.:(

Can you remember which questions you struggled on?

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You should consider buying the A+ all in one exam guide by Mike Meyers this book is the one most recommended for the A+ and also PC technician street smarts by James Pyles (Tripwire 45). Trips book is like a lab book with exercises in it to hone your skills, very useful I would say :)

Like UCM said what areas did you find hard? we may be able to point you in the right direction :)

Do you have any practice software? I have Transcender and Preplogic exams plus the practice exams you get with the Mike Myeres book I mentioned. I am getting between 80 and 100% depending on the exam so I believe I am ready, hopefully I will take mine shortly I just want to be fully confident before I do.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. donpisci

donpisci Bit Poster

What's the actual pass percentage in the exam?

Certifications: BSc (Hons)
    WIP: Diploma in Business Analysis
  8. greenbrucelee

Its about 80% why not look on compTIAs website for confirmation.

9. donpisci

donpisci Bit Poster

I did, all it said was 675. I've read around a few sites as well that have said anything between 60-80% which seems a bit high considering A+ 602 appears to requires a higher pass mark (think it says 700 on the CompTIA site).

Certifications: BSc (Hons)
    WIP: Diploma in Business Analysis
  10. Becki

Becki Byte Poster

i did find that although the 602 exam requires a higher pass mark it is much easier than the 601, this is what i have found, does anyone else find this aswell?

Becki x

Certifications: NVQ IC3 A+ Network+ MCDST MCITP MCTS Vista & 7
  11. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Hi Becki, I found the 602 easier as well to be honest. Although im sure with a little extra study you'll find the 601 easy too! :)

Also, there is no "clear" percentage pass mark, its beleived the questions are weighed differently, in which case you can get the same amount of questions right as someone else who passed, and fail because the questions you got right where worth less. If that makes sense? :)

Or maybe im going crazy :biggrin

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  12. greenbrucelee

no you are right, also everyones exam is different in someway, wether its the order of questions or even the questions asked.

13. Becki

Becki Byte Poster

what about those 10 unmarked questions! those really get me! i mean with those 10 questions i could of passed!:cussing

sorry rant over

Becki

Certifications: NVQ IC3 A+ Network+ MCDST MCITP MCTS Vista & 7
  14. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

By same problems you mean not being prepared? Thats what this forum is for. Unfortunately you found us too late by the looks of it. The people here will help all they can with preparing properly. Any questions someone has the answer or can point you in the right direction. I scraped through on my first A+ exam and although I was prepared I think i underestimated the scope of the exam and overestimated my experience. I have a friend who is not the least bit technically minded but is fed up with his job and considering a move to I.T. He's the kind of guy who flys without antivirus software but he's done the ecdl and for this reason (and having seen a compuserve advert) he thinks he's technical enough to do the A+ and believes he'll be on an excellent salary by the middle of the year in an area he is currently utterly inept at. When pushed he will claim 5 years experience with computers. (do you see where I'm going) In reality this is 5 yrs playing solitaire and sending emails.
    Some people just underestimate I.T. full stop. Its not a fast track to a fat salary. Most of us are'nt that well paid. We do it because we love it. Do not underestimate this as it will become a waste of money and time

I wish you the best of luck with your retake when it comes but please do not think that the 7 years experience that you cite is valid or enough with regards to the a+. You need to do more than read the book and do a coule of upgrades
    Some of your seven years experience may be very relevant to the a+ but considering your current age that would make you 13 when your experience began and i dont count duke nukem or graphics card upgrades as relevant (hardline aint I)

A little harsh maybe but my recent experience with my friend has made me realise its quite easy for people to convince themselves that they're actually quite excellent with computers. I'm not putting you into this category but i am a little concerned that like me you underestimate/d the A+ and overestimated your abilitys in this area.

For me the low pass score was a wake up call and I adjusted my study technique and attitude accordingly. This is what you must now do. No dwelling on problems with the exam. It is what is is

Preparation

Preparation

Preparation

I have emboldened certain areas so as to avoid skim readers getting the wrong end of the stick. I learned from my mistakes and hopefully you will too but its always nicer to learn from others mistakes and not make any yourself

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Absolutely. Great testimony. Rep given, Skulker.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!