A+ 2003 or 2006 Objectives?

Discussion in 'A+' started by Colin1, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Colin1

Colin1 Byte Poster

Howdy folks I have got a bit of a dilemma here so here goes:

I have been cramming like hell for the past two weeks for my A+ 2003 core exam, and OS exam. Now I have just had a look on the CompTIA website at the practie questions and got the shock of my life, they were way hard and I have not yet finished my revision, not even close. So I am torn between two minds should I :

a) Just keep cramming and keep the faith even though my confidence has taken a whack! and get on with it.

OR

b) Compose myself and wait for the 2006 objectives, coz that way I can revise a strategy (even though I have wasted time and money on the 2003 objectives) with all the new revision materials, and wait till I am ready for a more up to date cert.

Any advice is welcome thanks again guys

C :D

Certifications: Cisco IT Essentials,
    WIP: IT degree, CIW (Web), A+, N+
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I suspect the CompTIA questions would be 2006 Objectives, so could include new stuff.

What other practice questions have you used?

I have the Mike Meyers book, which comes with a CD with 3 practice exams. I found them fairly close in difficulty and style to the actual exam.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

If this was me I would go with option B. Simply because if you are not confident on the exams and have not even finished your revision, you are going to be pretty tight on passing both before the end of the month - which is when the 2003 objectives expire. And that's assuming you don't need to resit either of them.

You may have wasted money on buying materials, but what you learnt for 2003 objectives is still very valuable, and may help you understand material for 2006 - true XP is different to NT, but a PC has been a PC for some years now - it's still going to help - either for the exam or your future job/career - what an AT motherboard was, or what NT was like without a device manager.

In addition, if you aren't confident for an exam in future, you at least have the advantage of putting it off for a week or two.

No learning is a waste of time, its just how you use the knowledge you've gained afterwards.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  4. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

If you have the Meyers book and have tried the Cd in the back what kind of marks are you getting? If your hitting around the 70%+ mark then I'd suggest you go for it as there a defo questions in the actual exam which don't pop up in the MM book which you'll be able to answer with ease.

If your way below 70% then perhaps waiting for a crack at the 2006 objectives and not give yourself an aneurysm about it! :D

I think we'd talked about the VNP software exam prep, have you used that yet? IF so what kind of marks are you hitting with that??

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: MCITP: SA
  5. Colin1

Colin1 Byte Poster

I havent got the stuff yet to be honest as I wasnt sure what I was going go do about my exams. But I think will get the vpn stuff for the 2006 objectives and take it from there m8. Thanks for the advice m8 much appreciated.

C :biggrin

6. Colin1

Colin1 Byte Poster

7. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Good shout - remember you're supposed to enjoy it also.... :biggrin

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  8. Colin1

Colin1 Byte Poster

Yeah I know m8, that goes without saying! I am pretty hectic at the moment but once my second year is done I can relax a bit before studying for my A+ exams.

My philosiphy - Summer = scantily clad girls = beer = parties = A+ exams ha! :twisted:

Cheers again fella

C :p