9 week gurantee update

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by philngems, Jul 20, 2007.

1. philngems

philngems Bit Poster

Got the promise from skillstrain today... in short aslong as you make a good effort and tell them what u have done.. and still dont work starting over £20000 not £25000.. then they will pay you your course fees back..

good news:D

2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Not really.

Have you noticed that throughout these forums people have been trying to find out if these 'finish the course and get a job on a silver platter' promises are true?

We have yet to see a single example of this being the case. There is although a history of disappointed students.

So what is going on?

There must be some small print somewhere.
    NOBODY can garantee ANYONE a job, UNLESS they offer to employ that person themselves.

If you want a job, you must APPLY for it, and attend an INTERVIEW during which you CONVINCE the company to hire you.

Please forgive my harsh words, but anyone applying to a training provider because they feel it will be a cushy road into a job needs a good slap.

Sorry.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

Some of these training providers deliberately recruit amongst the unemployed, and people in vulnerable circumstances who are desperate for a way out of their difficulties. I don't think it is always about looking for a cushy road, but some light at the end of a tunnel. Slick salesmen visit them and promise all sorts of things before getting them to sign up for inappropriate courses for inappropriate sums of money. They don't lead them out of the tunnel, but into a deeper one filled with debt. Sure they should know better than to sign, sure they should research better before they do. But desperate people sometimes make stupid decisions. As far as I'm concerned the only people needing a slap here are those who knowingly deceive and prey upon them.

And maybe those too ignorant and insensitive to try and understand. Sorry.

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Jonny's right. Good luck with all that, if you decide to pursue it. I'd personally recommend running the other direction.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Fatwaz

Fatwaz Bit Poster

just think about it for a second.imagine a company taking you on because you passed a learn at home course,with no way of proving you answered all the TMA's without backchecking,in fact with no way of knowing you actually were the one doing the course in the first place!not only that but how do they know you can do the job just on a course passed?can you bulid a site in valid xhtml?can you write javascript?can you write some perl,php etc etc?

they would be mad wouldn't they.sorry to tell you the harsh truth but it will NOT happen no matter what they've told you.maybe if you're really lucky they will get you an interview somewhere but you're still gonna have to prove you can do the stuff irrespective of passing a course.

WIP: CIW Foundations
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

It's not that I'm insensitive.
    I do feel for anyone who has been promised something that does not deliver. If someone told me that I would be guaranteed a job on a fixed salary, my first question would be 'how?'

It just seems that this question has never been answered.

It just seems to be a regular occurrence on this forum whereby people sign up for something and then come here asking other people what they have signed up to.

Maybe it's me, but surely these questions should be answered before signing on the dotted line and not after.

7. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

a. High pressure selling.
    b. Sometimes the sales representatives lie. 'Course it's your word against theirs if you try to take it to court as some have done.
    c. There is a whole science behind how people see what they think they see rather than what is really there - and Derren Brown makes a fortune out of it.
    d. Of course, like I said, people should know better - but people in vulnerable or desperate circumstances sometimes make stupid decisions.

I know that tp's aren't charities, I know they have to make a profit - but some of their business practices stink.

8. BosonMichael

Agreed... that's why we're suggesting he run away from this situation.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  9. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

question: Who decides what a 'good effort at finding a job' is?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  10. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

If you check his other postings, it's clear he's already been signed up with them for some time - certainly too late to run away.

And a certain feature of tps' business practices is that once you've signed your compact with the devil, your soul is toast....

11. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Dude honestly do you really believe some company is gonna go to great lengths to get you a job after they've got your money.

They might point you in the direction of people looking for employees or get you a placement which then may lead to a job. But then again most companies that use placement employees are just needing a skivvy.

What if I said I can promise you £10000 in 1 years time if you give me £2500 now, and I have 30 years experience. Note I have 30 years experience I am not saying what in but look at my profile I am 30.

If you wanna sent me the cash PM me and I will send you some dodgy details that I havent made up.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  12. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

The OP is quoting the guarantee from the tp, that says if HE doesn't get a job that pays £20,000pa they will refund his course fees - not that they guarantee THEY will get him a job.

13. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

"If he makes good effort" ?

I have to ask the same question as Fergal here, who judges what a "good effort" is?

I find the whole situation rather worrying as it seems so open...

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  14. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Ok my mistake.

I still think its all bollocks, there will be some way they can get out of it.

Just like when you have to pay an initial deposit on a flate to a landlord just incase you damage something and then they say ooh there a scratch on the wall your deposit is now mine. mwwwhahah :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  15. BosonMichael

Ah, gotcha. So I guess he's looking for corroboration or sympathy or some sort of indication that he's made a "good decision". Makes sense! :thumbleft

16. BosonMichael

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that if a TP doesn't want to refund course fees, they could "get you a job" paying £20,000pa and fire you a day/week/month later. And you'd have no recompense - after all, you got a job that paid that amount... nobody said how long you had to keep it.

It'd likely be easier to get money back from a lawyer or a stripper. :joker

17. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Somewhere there is a catch and I can't believe that nobody has come up against it yet.

The fact of the matter is, either you complete your course and end up with this job, or you complete your course and came across the catch.

The only alternative outcome is that you don't complete your course...

I'm willing to bet that there is a clause somewher that forces you to do something in order for the job thing to be valid (or disqualifies you), for example you have to complete the course within a certain time or you have to get form 2b signed by your tutor during a leap year. It'll be there somewhere.

18. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

I wish I was like all these marvelous critics who have never made a bad decision. I admit to making one but I certainly don't want anyones sympathy and would be pretty angry about other people rubbing my nose in it.

Lets hope that one day these perfect people are on the other end of one of these situations, and see how they feel when they are told they need a slap. I must admit, thats about one of the most pathetic things I've heard on these forums and just about sums up the problem with society today.:x

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  19. BosonMichael

I never said anyone needed a slap, nor have I heard anyone else say so. I certainly don't think PhilNGems needs a slap. Nor are we rubbing anyone's nose in their problems... we're merely warning people to "stay away" from offers that are "too good to be true", and to do their research. Otherwise, people WILL continue to fall into these same traps. We've helped more than one person who came to these forums looking for advice on training providers, and they end up learning what to watch out for.

I've certainly made bad decisions. Charging $40,000 of store inventory on credit cards with the intention of paying it back when we sold it was an *incredibly* stupid idea - my business partner never sold the inventory, and I got stuck with the debt. Know what I do now? I warn people not to get into debt like I did, for ANY reason... I use *my* bad decision to warn others not to make the same mistakes *I* made. If you told me that was a stupid decision, I certainly wouldn't think you're rubbing my nose in it, or "giving me a slap"... bottom line, it *was* a bad decision.

There's no "judgement" or "punishment" or "humiliation" going on, or whatever else you think we're doing... we're trying to help others to be watchful and to not make the same bad decisions. Simple as that.

20. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

Like I said, not a very helpful response. Once signed up there is nothing more you can do. Fair enough, advise people about the pitfalls, but as already said, desperate people sometimes make mistakes, and In my opinion DON'T deserve a good slap.

I wasn't referring specifically to you Boson, indeed I don't think I've ever heard you make this kind of off-the-cuff, thoughtless comment.

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)