71-526 after Xmas

Discussion in 'MCAD / MCSD / MCPD' started by JonnyMX, Dec 20, 2005.

1. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I'm having a bash at the beta exam for the MCTS Windows based client development after Xmas.
    I had an invite to try it for free, so I thought why not have a look?
    I'm not terribly hopeful as I'm a bit rusty on my Windows stuff. I seem to do more Web based applications.
    Still, should be interesting.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Nice opportunity for you, Jonny. I'm sure we'd be grateful of any updates and opinions you may have to offer following your exerience (subject to NDAs. of course)

Keep us posted :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Thanks Gav.
    I really don't know what to expect.
    MS have been running free online courses on their website, but it's a massive subject.
    Hey, 4 hour exam means an afternoon off work though!

I'll keep you all posted, although a beta exam isn't going to reflect on the real thing necessarily.

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

All the same, should a reasonable reflection on any new exams coming into play, so will be good to hear one of our own's views on it :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Good luck Jonny and keep us posted. It would be interesting to have a bit of insight into what taking a beta exam is like.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

OK, phew. Still got a headache.

The exam was 71 questions in 4 hrs.
    Exactly the same format as a normal MS exam.
    There were some mistakes in there, i.e. text that scrolled off the edge of the screen so you couldn't read it and questions where two of the options were identical.

On balance I would have to say that the questions were much shorter than what I was used to in MCSD exams, only a line or two rather than half a page of reading.
    However, the depth of knowledge you require is greater. More questions on processes and threads etc, so I found it really tough. Plus you begin to fall asleep half way through.

It's interesting that MS has not chosen to introduce 'simulations' into these exams as they have with the MCSE 2003.

At the end you get a little message promising to let you know how you did some time...

Oh well, it was free. And if I pass, I get a free exam voucher...

The only thing I'm not clear on is what I actually get if I pass. The new certs for development at the basic level is 'MCITP' which consists of two exams, one in .NET development and then one in either Windows developement or Web development. If you get just one, what are you? There doesn't seem to be an MCP equivalent.

Will I still get a lapel pin?

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!