700 out 1000 does not equal 70% so what does

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Davidh1819, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Davidh1819

Davidh1819 Nibble Poster

Some people assume that 700 out of 1000 is roughtly 70% most of you alreadly probley know this is wrong it is just a scalling system perentage wise 0-1000 = 0%and 1000-1000 = 100%

Does anyone acualy know the percentage i think it is very unfiar the microsft dont tell you how many questions you need to get correct,, If you sit a demo trancender and got 77% did you pass? who knows does anyone?

Certifications: A+ N+ MCP MCDST MCTS MCITP
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Does it matter? if you know your stuff you will pass, end of.

Also I dont think each question is given the same share of points so to get over 700 you may rack up more points completing a couple of sims in comparison to answering a few multiple questions correctly.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

It's totally irrelevant
    because different questions carry different weight

I could get one question right that was worth 5 points
    and another one wrong that was worth 50

And depending on which questions are drawn from the pool alters what each question is worth again

it is not 'unfair' that they don't tell you how many you need to get right
    this is not a video game
    if you get 5 easy questions right and all the hard ones wrong, should you pass?
    if you get all the hard ones right and miss a few easy ones, should you fail?

A lot of complex thought goes into these exams and their scoring, and it's just not as simple as a pass/fail mentality

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Why is it unfair? It's Microsoft's ball so you have to play by their rules.
    Personally, I don't worry about it. I'm not looking to scrape through the exams, I'm looking to do well, so 77% would still send me scuttling back to my text books.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It's not unfair. As Sparky rightly said, "If you know your stuff, you will pass".

In addition to what Sparky and Phoenix mentioned, there can also be unscored questions which will neither count for nor against you.

So how many questions do you need to get right in order to pass? As many as it takes.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!