70-659 Lab Setup

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by Moif, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Moif

Moif Bit Poster

Hi all,

I'm getting myself up to speed with virtualisation and am looking at the VCP and the 70-659 for the MCTS. The VCP is the more expensive of the two and so I'm going to push for the 70-659. Firstly, if I've read it right I only need to pass the 70-659 exam for the MCTS?

And secondly, I've inherited a Poweredge T100 and want to setup an exam ready single server lab. Could someone point in the direction of a guide or let me know what virtual machines the 70-659 labs consist of?

Thanks

2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

How much ram does the t100 have I think it takes up to 8GB which you will want to do in order to make use of it. If you only have one server as an option I would be tempted to install windows xp (I say xp because you wont want the host os chewing up more cycles than necessary) or something on it then a hypervisor on top of that virtualpc, vmware server, or oracles virtualbox. then install hyper-v inside a couple of virtual machines. The downside to that is that you probably wont be able to power on the vm's inside hyper-v (because you will be running virtual machines inside virtual machines) but that will allow you to create 2 hyper-v servers on one physical server and play with the services that are only possible when you have more than one hyper-v server and network attached storage.
    Otherwise you labbing will be rather limited with only one physical server to play with if you install hyper-v directly to it.

vmware is still the best hypervisor out there but due to the change of licencing you may be able to cash in on some companies that are looking to migrate from vmware to hyper-v.

Personally when I was looking into hypervisors for our company hyper-v was last on my list Xenserver seems the closest match to me for vmware but naturally hyper-v be in the forefront of alot of companies minds because its effectivly free under certain volume licence agreements.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. Moif

Moif Bit Poster

Currently 4GB (will be upgrading to 8GB shortly) and it's currently running ESXi 5 bare metal. I was going to download the ISOs and / or VHDs from MS to create the lab, it'd be a push I guess depending on what I'd need?