70-646 Exam Question

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by FishThrower, Aug 7, 2012.

1. FishThrower

FishThrower New Member

Hi all,

Just asking for a tad of guidance

I have been studying for this exam (Win Server 2008 admin) for the past couple of months, my study material are the offical Microsoft Press Books, and some additional MeasureUp exam questions. (the MS Press Book also comes with MeasureUp questions to!), I have also watched all of the CBT Nugget Videos for the exam.

I understand the main concepts for each section of the exam, and what each role \ feature the exam covers.

The problem is, when im taking the MeasureUp practice exams, im normally hitting 60-75% , im normally getting the questions wrong that asks "for less admin effort" or "what steps would you take do export a Starter GPO", questions that you wouldnt really do in the real world environment. Also the Case Studys at the end of the exams are quite tricky, as sometimes the information isnt even in the case study.

I have read a couple of posts who stated that the MeasureUp exams are a lot harder than the actual test... is this correct? I am aiming to get around 80% of the MeasureUp exams before I book myself in the real test. Also, does anyone have any study tips or notes that they can share? I have a massive OneNote document of notes for the exam already, but more would be helpful!

Hope to hear from you guys soon

thanks

2. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

Personally I feel MeasureUp use the same objectives at Microsoft, but tend to look at them from almost the opposite angle.

MeasureUp seem to focus on all the warts, all the bits where something doesn't work as you'd expect. They love questions where you'd THINK that answer is to make a certain setting, but actually you need, like, a registry hack or to modify some XML or do something in command line. Whereas IMO (and your mileage may vary - and I'm keeping this exceptionally vague for obvious NDA reasons) I feel Microsoft tend to look more at when things work as you'd expect. For that reason, even after I passed the 646 with the best score I've ever had for a MS exam, I still struggled with the MeasureUps for it.

The trick is this - do the MeasureUps in "Study" mode. Read the question, give it your best, and click "answer." Look through their explanation to find the TechNet link. That is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Follow the TechNet link and read THAT WHOLE ARTICLE! It takes a long time, but that way you'll get the full picture. You'll understand where MeasureUp are coming from, and when you're doing your exam, if Microsoft cover the same concept but put a totally different spin on it, it won't catch you out.

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

From my experience as well, I find MeasureUp exams harder than the actual test. But, you also tend to be more focused and more serious with the actual test than the practice exam. I use more than just one testing app, I tend to use Transcender as well.

For questions such as "perform the following task with least administrative effort" can be answered if you have hands on experience... in the books, they wont be saying that you should do something a certain way because its faster, this kind of knowledge comes from experience which is why I always say to build and play with a lab as much as possible, you honestly have nothing to lose. Also when I do the practice exams and get the wrong answer, I Google and see why its wrong and why is the other answer. I find that by doing so I realize that I missed a step or perhaps learn something new.

Honestly it takes patience to pass exams and its not always easy, some exams take more time than others, but just keep getting through it and you'll pass.

Good luck on the exam!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. TechTock

TechTock Byte Poster

I personally hate questions that are least admin effort as for example some people heavily use keyboard shortcuts but I very rarely do and some people open up various admin tools via the search box and some have shortcuts and some click through the long way. What I'm trying to say is that admins use all sorts of ways to get to the same result whether it's using scripts or doing things manually and personally I think it's unfair to mark someone down due to the way they go about their job.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician | PRINCE2 Foundation | VCP5
    WIP: Having a rest :-)