70-294 QOTD for May 19th

Discussion in 'Active Directory Exams' started by tripwire45, May 19, 2004.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Pete is a junior administrator for a Windows Server 2003 AD network. While performing some routine maintanence in Active Directory Users and Computers, he accidentally deletes the marketing OU for his company. Pete knows that in order to replace it, he must perform an authoritative restore. He closes the Active Directory Users and Computers page, then clicks on Start then command prompt. When the command window opens, he types in "ntdsutil" at the C: prompt. The "ntdsutil" prompt appears. Next, Pete types in "authoritive restore" and hits Enter. Instead of the authoritative restore prompt appearing, he gets an error message warning him that this operation is not allowed, that it can be overriden but that it is not recommended. What happened and what should Pete do?

A. This is a normal warning at this stage of the process. Pete should hit Enter again and the authoritative restore prompt will appear.

B. This server has just been promoted to a domain controller quite recently and no backups have yet been done. Pete will be unable to do any sort of restore from the normal backup media.

C. Pete forgot that he must restart the server and hit the F8 control key as the server restarts. Pete must then choose Directory Services Restore Mode. When the server boots into this mode, he must sign in as administrator. Then he will be able to immediately open a command window and start the authoritative restore process.

D. Pete forgot that he must restart the server and hit the F8 control key as the server restarts. Pete must then choose Directory Services Restore Mode. When the server boots into this mode, he have to logon as administrator and start the Backup or Restore Wizard, then open the command window and start the authoritative restore process.

Answer later.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Ill post my answer tomorrow then :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Answer D :D

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  4. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

D for me too

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I thought C to start with but D makes more sense with the Backup and Restore Wizard.

D for me. 8)

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Yup deff D :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

lol i get worried when Phil gives a different answer than I was going to :)

Im gonna hold out and go with C

A seems ok, you can overide the warning, BUT hitting enter doesnt take you to the restore prompt, and as such seems incorrect

B well B could be right, he would need a backup of some kind, but nothing mentions the AD being 'new' or having no backups so we will assume he has a backup, if this was a multi answer question i would check B as well

D is right upto the point where the user opens AD Backup and Restore, an Authoritative restore can only be done via the command line utlitity ntdsutil.exe

which leads me to
    C

*que trip jumping in saying 'i cheated, he didnt have any backups and i just didnt mention it, AJ is our winner*

lol :)

8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Hardy-har-har, Ryan. :lol: Answer in about an hour.

9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Time's up. Correct answer is D. My source (the Poulson Training Guide by Que) says that once you boot into Restore Mode and sign in with the restore mode password (you set it up during install and it usually is different than the admin password), then you have to run the wizard prior to using ntdsutil at the CLI. I had a tough time trying to word it so I may have been misleading (my apologizes if that's the case). The whole scenario is quite a bit longer if you follow it step-by-step so I was trying to keep it accurate and brief. I may not have been entirely successful. Thanks for the responses. More later.

10. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

hehe fair enough :)
    question seems worded fine mate, my inherent ability to not read them properly probably got in the way there ;)
    ofcourse i havnt actually read anything about needing to still run backup/restore wizard, poultons guide is on order though hehe :)