70-291 My Brain Hurts!

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by craigie, Sep 30, 2008.

1. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I had heard rumours before that the 70-291 is meant to be a toughie.

But seriously, this book is in a different league :biggrin

This is going to be the first MS book, where I have to go back and re-read a chapter.

Configuring DNS Servers & Clients (chapter 4) here I come again.

This time with added caffeine! :blink

Seriously, one thing I have learnt that you are not always receptive to learning, so do not beat yourself up if it does not all go in straight away. Take a break and come back to it at a later time.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

There's a very good reason why the 70-291 is nicknamed "The beast". You think the study material is hard, just wait until the exam...

Just make sure you have a good test domain to work with, maybe also get yourself a CBT also (the book can be dry and boring at times), plus also a practice exam package...

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Very true, Craig as I am preparing to defeat this beast of an exam soon as well. I have read through the MS press book once doing all the hands on practice via VMWare server VM's and DC's.

This one truly is a tough one and glad am having valuable hands on at work too, but as we all know passing MS exams doesn't meant one can really administer an MS network infrastructure in real life. I am also using MeasureUP, Preplogic and Trancenders practice exams for this one too. Best wishes and sure you'd do well.

It's a dry topic though:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Exactly right, I need to nail DNS as it is the main topic in the book and therefore most likely in the exam.

I also have the CBT Nugget, but I don't like to look at those until I have completed the MS Press Book and understand and taken in all the topics covered.

This one is going to require the most effort and motivation and some monster amounts of coffee :helpread

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  5. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

The good news is, if I don't get it after:

1. Hands on at work
    2. Reading MS Press Book
    3. Watching CBT Nugget
    4. Speaking with friends who are MCSE, CCNA etc

I will enrol and do the course in Jan '09 at Tresham and 'bug' Modey and Wagnerk :D

6. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I know what you mean, I found I have to change my revision tactics for this one as a cursory skim of a chapter and a bit of fiddling with the relevant feature doesnt cut it for the 291. I really want to learn all this stuff properly as its so useful and doesnt only apply to windows servers but sometimes the its a bit dry!

Come on guys lets help each other out!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  7. Dullage

Dullage Byte Poster

Just had the same thing, wasn't very receptive to the NOS chapter on the N+ so I went to play Warhawk on PS3...wasn't receptive to being killed every 2 seconds either so I've given up on both and decided to build my 2k3 Server...:rolleyes:

Good luck with the rest of the book Craigie :thumbleft

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network +
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, the 70-291 is a tough exam.

Hint: make sure you know WSUS inside out. It was v2 when I did the exam but may have changed since then.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

You can bug me & Ken if you want but I'm not so sure it will be on the 291 course. I started to teach the MCSA courses at Tresham for them recently, but have only agreed to do the 270 at the moment. I may do that one again next year, but I doubt I will teach either the 290 or the 291. One reason is my health and I can't do too much nightschool stuff as well as a full time job at the moment.

Another reason (for me personally) is that the more complicated courses take much more preparation by the tutor in order to deliver them properly. We don't get paid for any prepartion and planning, only for the time we actually teach. I'm not prepared to give them several extra hours a week of my time if it's unpaid. Sounds selfish, but I'm not a registered charity last time I checked. :)

Sorry if that sounds like a rant btw. :)

As for the 291, yeah DNS is definitely something you will want to know back to front as you will get some tricky questions on it. As Sparky also mentioned, WSUS seems to feature heavily in the exam, if not in the actual objectives for it. It's certainly not listed as one of the major topics, but you would think it was based on the exam itself.

As with any MS exam though, the experience can be different for each person. You may even get lucky on the day and get lots of questions on subjects you are really strong on. The flipside to that can be nasty though, so try not to have any weak areas before you go in, if possible.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  10. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Thanks for the hit Sparky, there is only a very small sub section in Chapter 12 on WSUS. I did alot of work on the subject for my 70-290 and think I have WSUS down.

Just deployed two Vista Clients into my Lab and enabled WSUS for these setting deadlines, just for fun :)

11. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Dang, that means there is not much motivation to lecture in the evenings!