70-290

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by dazzy90, Jun 17, 2007.

1. dazzy90

dazzy90 New Member

Hi,

Anyone recently sat the 70-290 exam (and passed?!). I took it Friday and failed :( with a score of 651. There seemed to be a lot on Terminal Services that were more in depth than the course guides i have been reading (MS & Exam Cram).
    Anyone else had similar Q's or can point me a direction of where to brush up my studies for the re-take??

Thanks guys/girls.

2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi Dazzy,

Welcome to the forum.

Although Microsoft don't make it public how they mark their exams, you might be only two questions or a simulation away from a pass there.

I took the 290 about six weeks ago and thought it was quite a league away from the relationship some people say exist between 270 and 290.

This is because I have less experience of Server than XP. We used the official Microsoft learning material and feel there were some topics not covered. The bottom line with the MS Exams is;

* Use more than one resourse - ie MS Press, MS e-learning and Sybex if you can afford it.

* Use the software you want to learn about and are going to be tested on. This is a must. What good is it being certified if you can't use the stuff?! Virtual PC is free and VMWare is also availible to try "before you buy". I have a pocket HDD full of VM's for this purpose.

* Use Exam preparation software. Knowing "your stuff" is one thing, but the exams will ask you questions in such an awkward way you need all the help you can get! - I find Transcender test engines perfect for this.

I would hit the study and go back sooner rather than later whilst it is still fresh in your head.

Good luck

Boyce

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Did you do any lab work mate? It heldps to set up a server (as a domain controller) and have one XP client. Then you can play about with TS and Group Policy.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi welcome sorry about the fail but keep trying:D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :D

I'll second what Boyce said. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome! Best of luck on your next attempt at the exam.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Sorry to hear about that... i think everyone has given you good advice so ill just wish you good luck! 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  9. dazzy90

dazzy90 New Member

Hi all, thanks for the responses, esp. Boyce's comments..
    I do use Server 2003 in my day to day job, but not too heavily on the Term Svcs side of things + its a live system so do not want to mess about too much with it! i have Virtual PC, not VMWare :-( but need a good copy of Server 2003 to install on it as my copy is an evaluation one and has expired. I will keep studying books and try to create a bootable 2003 CD to install on Virtual machine... will kepp you all posted on the re-take! btw, when i sat the exam, centre logged me on to the system to the point where all i had to do was click 'start'. anyway after about 8 questions i was panicking, i did not know any of the answers and had not covered any of the stuff in the coursework. turned out they had put me on the wrong exam!! i was doing the 291(!!!), geez that looks tough!
    anyways catch up with you'll soon...

10. Morne Louw

Morne Louw Byte Poster

if you delete the virtual machine and then install the evaluation copy on another one you will have some more time on server 2003

sorry about the fail better luck next time

Certifications: ECDL, OCN Level 2 HTML, A+,MCDST,70-270
    WIP: MCSA/MCSE
  11. dazzy90

dazzy90 New Member

thanks for the advice, however it requires activation within 14 days. i have already activated in the past and that 180 evaluation period has expired :-( so i cannot re-avtivate that product.. guess i could buy another eval copy off ebay..?! :eek:

12. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Well keep at it..and Welcome!

See if you can identify you weakest areas and consolidate those points of expertise first.

That score is at least a solid attempt..you failed by approx 2 questions.

If you give yourself 4 to 6 weeks review and extra study, and then re-sit the exam you should be fine.

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff