70-290 exam cram

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Theprof, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hey,

I was just wondering if anybody used the 70-290 Exam Cram book to prepare for the exam. If so is it worth to get?

I read Zimbo's review on the 290 preparation and I am currently using the MS Press second edition training kit and I have windows server 2003 inside out book too, which I don't use much at the moment.

I used the exam cram fro XP and A+ in the past and they were pretty good.

Thanks in advance.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I didn’t use the exam cram book but the MS press book was enough to get me through the exam with some lab work as well.

If you use Server 2003 at work (in an admin role) then you shouldn’t find the 70-290 too difficult, make sure you learn some of the command line features though. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I hope you don't mean you want to use the exam cram book alone. They're meant to be used with other texts. In general, I think they're good resources for nailing down the high points as you get ready to sit an exam.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Thanks sparky. Question for ya.

The commands to memorize you are talking about, are there many of them? because from what I studied up until now which is only up to chapter 4 in the ms press book its a lot about Directory services commands like DSquery, DSadd, DSget, DSmod, DSrm, plus others.

The reason I am asking is that I am pretty good at understanding concepts and actually doing them. I've been told this by my employer and teachers. The one thing I hate the most about studying is memorizing stuff that I can easily look up on google if I ever needed to but if I have to memorize I will its not an issue.

The exam cram from experience that I have using it has a cram sheet and also really talks about the main parts that the exam focuses on. Now, some people in the past said exam cram is not that good and that is somewhat off, others say its good. I had good experience with the exam cram books but unfortunately not all books that come from the same place are equal in quality.

Thats why I was interested to see what others thought.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

What I was planning on doing was to go through the MS press book first and then the exam cram. But if the the exam cram is not that necessary or MS press book is enough then there is no point in get the extra book.

6. nicolinux

nicolinux Byte Poster

For my own experience in the 70-290 exam Mspress is enough.
    If do not understand something you can just look for another point of view searching on google.

Certifications: mcse win2k3, mcts x4. mcitp enterprise admin
    WIP: 70-680
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yeah, I just revised the ones that were listed in the MS Press book. I basically noted what each command does and what switches are used to execute the command.

If you know what each command does you can probably eliminate some of the potential answers (as they will be the wrong command) and then you can focus the remaining options and make sure the correct switches are being used. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated.

I think I am just going to stick to the current study material I have and if I understand something there is always google, technet, and certforums.

Thanks again.

10. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

bump. as it was good to read about Exam Cram book for 70-290.
    Was thinking I may need more materials. :rolleyes:

MS Press second edition training kit book
    College Book
    CBT 70-290 cd
    Testout cd