70-290 courseware

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by tony6472, Jan 7, 2009.

1. tony6472

tony6472 New Member

I am on a home learning course trying to study for the 70-270 and 70-290 exams.I am in dispute with the company because I do not believe the course materials they have sent will enable me to gain the sufficient knowledge to actually pass the exams. Let alone a lack of experience.

So far I have been sent the following:

0ne ECDL foundation CD ROM,

Two CD ROM's from gtslearning with the online cirriculum for the 70-270,although when I clck onto the instructions everythig dissapears from the screen,

A windows XP Pro LabSim manual also from gtslearning,

0ne transcender study guide containing certificate exam preparation for the 70-290,

0ne CD ROM one from ICS NETg with a Microsoft Certified Professional Approved Study Guide logo,this contains material for the 70-290 cirriculum,

0ne CD ROM containing supplementary material for the 70-290,

I also received a voucher code so that I could access the pracise test for the 70-290 from the measure up website.

Yes I have been advised to upgrade from XP home to XP pro,which would allow me to install a virtual PC and to study the features which are not available on XP home,although I have not done this as the company has clearly stated that "the courseware, study guide and exam preparation software we provide our students enables them to study and master all the objectives required to pass the exams".

Do I have any chance of passing these exams or would I be better off spending my time trying to nail blamange to the ceiling.

Thank you.

Certifications: none
    WIP: MCSA
  2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I have not used most of the study material you have qouted to pass the 70-290 exam. Therefore, I'm not really able to comment on the pro's or con's of them.

What I can say is to pass the 70-290 exam I used real life work, combined with the MS Press Book and CBT Nuggets, a guide can be found in my signature to how I studied for this.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Hi, forgive me asi don't know your experience level but you will find them hard if you don't have experience with XP (for 270) and 2k3 (for 290). I don't know what is on those CD's but i would say the MS press books for the relevent exams are a must!

Check here for the recommendations by Microsoft.

for 70-270 here
    for 70-290 here

to let you know i paid for a MCSE course 18 months ago, as i go told you don't need experience. This is wrng you most definately do. I am only now getting to grips with it and i have been working in IT for 17 months. I got all the MS press books, plus i also used the sybex book for the 270. i also use the exam cram book for 290 (as i read the sybex book isn't great for the 290). I found it very hard until i became very familiar with XP and 2k3.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few