70-282 - total newbie

Discussion in 'SBS' started by Tightscot, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Tightscot

Tightscot New Member

Hi All

i am due to sit the 70-282 exam shortly, but have done no revision whatsoever... I have also never sat a MS exam before :eek:

Can anyone tell me what to expect - ie number of questions, is there a time limit, will i find out instantly whether i pass or fail, what is the pass rate etc etc...

I have a transcender demo and got 80% on my first go, although this was only 10 questions, i also have a pass-guaranteed' demo, and got 70% on my fist go - although this was only 11 questions...

All in all I'm viewing this first exam as a bit of a feeler, and expect to fail, but you never know.

Thanks in advance.

PS exam is this Thursday 6th feb :biggrin

Certifications: MCP - 70-282
  2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I think it's a bad idea to rely on a 10 question Transcender sample as a guide to how ready you are really. Is there a reason you haven't prepared for it more? Second shot is all very well, but I always prefer to prepare really well and get it right the first time.

As for the exam, I haven't done that particular one, but if it's like many other MS exams the pass mark will be 700. Most asume this translates to 70% as a pass mark, but noone knows for definite.

More info can be found here :-

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-282.mspx

If you feel you know all of the subject areas of the objectives (listed further down the page) then you have a decent chance. Real world experience will stand you in good stead also.

Remember, you should be able to re-schedule up to 24hours before the test if you change your mind.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. Tightscot

Tightscot New Member

Thanks for the reply modey...

I haven't prepared more as it's sort of just been dropped on me, and if i pass before end of feb i get a cash bonus - 6th feb is only date available locally, so i thought i'd give it a shot and see what happens!

I have a fair grasp of the majority of subjects involved, as well as a fair amount of real world experience - watch me fail miserably!!

4. grizz3210

grizz3210 Byte Poster

hi and welcome.
    why take the exam and expect to fail wouldn't your money be better spent on books or practice question?
    then when your ready take the exam some practice exam are really good and give you that feeler your after(not braindumps).

any way what ever you do good luck and let us know how you get on.:D

edit: just saw the above post i take it your job is paying for it?
    if that's the case go for it and good luck.

Certifications: A+ N+ MCTS-vista
    WIP: MCDST
  5. Tightscot

Tightscot New Member

yep, work paying for it!

I'll keep you posted as to my results, but i think i know the answer!

Any ideas as to how many questions there will be - 40 seems to be the norm?

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I believe Pass-Guaranteed is a braindump.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I didn't notice that detail originally. I hope you didn't knowingly use a braindump etc..

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
  8. Tightscot

Tightscot New Member

no braindump - in fact i only found out what a braindump was through the link in BisonMichael's post!

the pass guaranteed thing i used is like transcender - it's a demo version with 11 questions, you answer them and then it shows you your score...

9. BosonMichael

Allow me to be more direct: Pass-Guaranteed is most definitely a braindump: link to Certguard's page on Pass-Guaranteed

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  10. Tightscot

Tightscot New Member

this gets confusing then, as far as i was aware the pass guaranteed was a testing exam - like transcender - i've tried attahing a screendump but upload times out.

Thanks for the certguard link - I'll use that in future to check sites out!

11. nex0r

nex0r Bit Poster

Hi,

I passed the 70-282 last year, the newer harder version. You'll need solid solid Server NT4/2k and 2k3, 2k/XP desktop, Exchange, SQL, AD and common networking. The one that most people fail on is the consultancy side. I had a lot of Exchange 5.5, NT4, LAN and WAN upgrade/migration questions regarding what to recommend, how to migrate etc.

Some people think this is an SBS2k3 exam, it isn't at all. I had maybe 10% SBS questions which was the platform I was working on at that time. My experience with the old technologies pulled me through. I believe there are some CBT's starting to appear now and even some MS curriculum which was non existant until recently.

IMHO passing 10 questions on a demo will not get you through this exam. It was regarded by people who had MSCE 2k3 as the hardest exam they had taken purley because of the diversity and lack of curriculum.

Good luck!

Certifications: A+ 601 602, 70-282
    WIP: N+
  12. BosonMichael

I didn't find it difficult at all.... but I've also worked with the older technologies as well as SBS. Unlike you, the majority of my exam was on SBS and on what OSes to recommend to clients based on their needs.

13. BosonMichael

It's not confusing if you look at how the two companies products are developed. Transcender develops questions from scratch; Pass-Guaranteed simply steals them from the live exam.

The overwhelming number of so-called "practice exam providers" are nothing more than braindumps. Stick with trusted practice exam providers - those that show up as Clean on CertGuard's site.

Glad I could be of assistance with the CertGuard link... their search tool has proven invaluable in the fight against braindumps!

14. Tightscot

Tightscot New Member

Thanks BisonMichael!

I've just bought the transcender full version - wonder how much info my brain can soak up in 24 hrs!!

Can anyone let me know how many questions i'll be facing? - exam is 2hrs 15 minutes...

15. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Don't tell him you just bought Transcender then thank him, he works for the competition (Boson if you didn't realise). :)

16. Tightscot

Tightscot New Member

:oops: noob alert!! :oops:

sorry BisonMichael!!

how embarrasing!

17. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I'm sure he's fine about it, I was only pulling your leg. :)

18. BosonMichael

Booooooooson... not Bison. :D Boson.

No worries... I used to write for Transcender before Self Test Software purchased them, and... let's just say that the new ownership decided to take their company in a direction I wasn't willing to follow. I quit and became a senior network admin. A bunch of my old co-workers from the original Transcender got together and bought Boson, so I became a senior content developer there.

19. Tightscot

Tightscot New Member

just sat the exam and got a 641 - needed a 700 :cry:

Gutted as i was pretty close

It was 41 questions and there was a fair bit of server 2003 and SBS wizard related questions

Any advice for my resit?

Will probably buy the one and only book on this exam and do some more studying - to be honest i was expecting to fail miserably, given the lack of revision, so i can take that as a positive!

20. BosonMichael

You're not far away from a passing score... study the questions that you know you had a problem with and give it another go!