70-271 Passed, Now What?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by chrism, Apr 2, 2007.

1. chrism

chrism Bit Poster

Thanks for all the advice I picked up here, I passed my 70-271 exam so I guess I'm now a Microsoft Certified Professional! Woooooo

I do seem to be having some problem registering on the Microsoft MCP site, I log in with my Windows Live ID but then get asked for a "Microsoft Certification ID" and an "Access Code" but none of those match the information on the printout I was given by Pearson Vue after my exam, I have emailed Microsoft but they don't seem to want to reply to me lol.

If anyone can help me figure out where I'm going wrong I'd be very greatful.

I'm also considering doing either the Wireless# from CWNP next or Network+, as the Comptia exams are so expensive I might just brush up on my networking using the Sybex book I have for N+ and then focus on working towards the Wireless# exam - the CWNP forum seems awfully quiet so I thought I'd see if anyone in here had any ideas while I was trying to get help to register as an MCP.

Thanks again everyone for the help and advice.

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ACA
    WIP: Still to be decided!
  2. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Well done.

70-272??? - MCDST

Kat

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  3. chrism

chrism Bit Poster

Thanks Kat, I had considered completing my MCDST but there are so many things I want to do and wanted to get another "entry level" cert in a slightly different area, I will probably finish my MCDST later in the summer unless I have landed a job in an entirely different area by then.

4. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Yeh cool, why not..

Kat:)

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Im my opinion I would finish the MCDST (70-272) as you've already started it with the 70-271. Once you finish the MCDST then go on and do the Network+, Wireless#, etc At least that way, you've finished a cert track without having to go back and finish it later. But at the end of the day, it's down to you.

As for access to the MCP site, MS will generate an e-mail with the codes in the next few days (it can take a couple of weeks).

Whichever route you decide to take, good luck.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. mondos

mondos Kilobyte Poster

Congrats :thumbleft .

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST and finding a job!
  7. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass, good job! :biggrin

Im with Wagnerk on what to do next though, I feel that having "Desktop Support Techician" will aid you in finding a job.

Good luck in whatever path you choose :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  8. chrism

chrism Bit Poster

Thanks guys, sounds like I'll just have to wait on Microsoft emailing me then :-)

I'll have a read through the 272 part of my Sybex book and have a think about finishing the MCDST, I guess that is more likely to get me a job than Wireless#.

9. creatorul

creatorul Bit Poster

I had the same problem one month ago. I e-mailed them and they answered in 2 weeks :) . I solved it by resetting the access code few times. If it still cracks reset it and try it second day. I think it is bug on MS server.

Certifications: MCP,MCAD, SCJP
    WIP: CCNA
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I agree with Ken and nX... get 70-272 out of the way. The material is related and will most definitely be helpful in finding a job. Wireless# isn't nearly as well known... and personally, I'm not gonna hire someone simply because they know wireless. Now, give me someone who can support end users in a Windows-based environment, and I'll definitely consider hiring them!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Congratulations on the pass :beers2

Now go and get drunk then think about your next step :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  12. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass - 272 of course! MCDST so when you need to upgrade to the Vista Support cert it will be much easier! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  13. webslinger2k

webslinger2k Byte Poster

congrats on the pass - and exactly what Zimbo said - the completed MCDST will make your progression onto being Vista certified all the more simple.

Certifications: 270, 271, 272
    WIP: 70-290