70-271 - Is 3 days enough study time?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Cedric3000, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Cedric3000

Cedric3000 New Member

Hi Guys,

I have my 70-271 exam booked for tomorrow (It was basically booked for me or I probably never would have done it). I have had some study material since Monday and have tried to read as much as I can over the past 2 days. I am reading all day today as well. Do I even stand a chance of passing this? I can see from other threads lots of people have spent weeks/months working towards this. I have 3 yrs IT support experience, but no MS certification at all. This will be my first one. I have seen/understood the topics that came up in the study books, but I am still concerned about the questions I will face. I also have a big dislike of exams, so I am not confident at all. Any advice or last minute tips would be very much appreciated.

2. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

With 3 years experience you'll have a chance of passing I imagine.
    If you have any practice exams included in your study materials you should maybe focus your attention on them at this late stage. (If it's the MSPress book the objective review questions are closer to the real thing than the practice exams). That will concentrate your study on what you don't know and get you used to MS style of questions.
    Good luck!

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  3. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Well seen as though the exam is tomorrow its unlikely you can reschedule, what study material do you have? Do you have any practice exams?

The exams themselves are in multiple choice format, and you will get questions on supporting users through the Windows XP interface, so know stuff like accessibility for instance like the back of your hand (Disclaimer, no guarantee this will be on the exam, as they change), also another good thing is to know how to get to all the tools you need through different methodologies, ie control panel (admin tools), start menu shortcuts, etc as microsofts preferred way and your normal way to access these tools may differ.

To be honest id just go in and give the exam your best shot, experience really does help with these exams, but also the theory is valuable too, so if you feel your study is lacking, but you do genuinely support users in a MS environment I wouldnt panic.

Good luck.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  4. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

I wouldn't worry at all mate providing you DO have that experience. It's the 2nd easiest exam I've taken... first was 272.

GL

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

With 3 years experience it shouldn't be a problem.

My last minute tip: read quickly.:twisted:

Prep logic also have a quick review guide. You can find the link somewhere in the "What you need to know" post pinned to the top of this forum.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That depends entirely on you and your current experience/knowledge level. Theoretically, you don't even need 3 days; you can pass with no studying at all if you already know the material, ya know?

There are practice exams you can purchase that will help you assess whether you are ready (note: avoid braindumps, illegal copies of actual exam questions - using them can get you decertified for life before you've really even begun!). That said, with only one day left to prepare, you're not likely to have much time to correct problem areas, and good practice exams are pretty expensive.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Cedric3000

Cedric3000 New Member

Hi Guys,
    Just to let you know, I passed! 866 was my pass mark - After 3 days reading I am happy with that!
    I missed the questions you asked before about my study material. I was given an official MS coursebook and a Sybex Study Guide. Just spent all day yesterday going through the parts/stuff I don't use alot at work. The test was easier than I was expecting. Not sure if I am allowed to say how many questions it had, but it was less than I thought it would be. I think I will definitely spend more time studying for the 272 though, and invest in some practice exams. Very glad I got this one out the way. Many thanks to all for the help/advice. I'm sure I'll be pestering you again shortly :D

8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Congrats on the pass. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Well done. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  11. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Congrats on the pass. I did the same in a few days then went and did the other one the same way a few days later. If you know the material you should be fine.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA