70-271: Important Points listed at one spot

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by karan1337, Jul 17, 2010.

1. karan1337

karan1337 Byte Poster

People preparing for their certifications often note down things that they need to review later on either in a notebook or text files (whatever the case maybe), but important points get scattered according to chapters they belong to.

Here i'm providing a list of key points regarding Windows XP that directly help candidates in ruling out options of any answer quite easily. These may also be helpful in revision during the final days of one's preparation.

Win Xp Home COMPARED TO Win Xp Professional:-

Win XP Home:-
    1.Does NOT offer advanced file sharing
    2.Does NOT support disk quotas
    3.Does NOT support encryption
    4.CANNOT join a domain
    5.DOES NOT have the "Local Users and Groups Tool", hence local groups cannot be created.
    6.DOES NOT have the "Local Security Policy Tool"
    7.CANNOT support more than one processor
    8.DOES NOT support the installation of Windows MUI
    9.DOES NOT support offline files
    10.SUPPORTS ONLY Basic disks
    11. Due to point (10), Home edition allows extending volumes on Basic Disks only.
    12.Only Administrators can install Printers
    13.DOES NOT support Print Permissions
    14.DOES NOT support IIS.
    15.Default Administrator Account can only be used in Safe Mode
    16.DOES NOT have Remote Desktop

Win XP Professional [Includes Home edition's features+ the ones listed below]:-
    1.DOES NOT support fault tolerance.
    2.Supports dynamic disks with a sector size of 512 bytes
    3.DOES NOT support stripe volume sets created by Win NT 4.0
    4.Administrators and Power Users with "Load/Unload device drivers" right can install printers
    5.To share a printer, a user must have "Manage Printers" permission
    6.Administrators and Power Users on a local machine can share folders.
    7.Supports upto 2 processors.
    8.Power Users CANNOT download ActiveX components required by Windows Update
    9.Overrides Simple File sharing when a domain is joined
    10.Default Share Permission is Read
    11.Only Administrators can format removable devices by default
    12."Load and Unload Device drivers" right DOES NOT include USB devices.
    13.CANNOT modify the drive letter of system or boot volume
    14.USB 2.0 is supported from SP1 onwards
    15.Power Users can remove a laptop from a docking station

Confusing User Group:- Everyone, Users, Authenticated Users, Interactive, Anonymous.

Anonymous refers to null sessions (created by a computer to access/load resources on a server so as to be able to present it to a user)

Everyone, as the name indicates includes everyone, except the Anonymous logon
    Interactive user includes guest and all users who are currently logged on but not users that belong to authenticated users group( those possessing logon credentials)
    Local and Domain accounts are general User group, and generally are Authenticated Users

Hope that helps. Replies and improvements/suggestions are welcome!

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCTS, Brainbench: XP and Vista [Master]
    WIP: Bachelors:Computer Science
  2. adamkent

adamkent New Member

Hi Karan thanks very much for that

I have just joined the forum today after reading some of the posts over the last couple of days

Have been in IT for 5/6 years now and for some reason have started certification then stopped after a bit of time.

I kept jumping into the deep end ie going straight into MCSE and MCPD

Have now decided to do my mcdst . Did a practice exam and got 61% so already close to getting there.....

All I am using at the mo is the MCDST study guide. What i find bizarre is that some of the practice questions they have on there is stuff that is not covered in the book lol.

Read some of your posts and seen some of the things you are using but was wondering what do you recommend.

Also how long did it take you. I saw that you also got a high percentage on your pre-assesment test.

Kind Regards

Adam ...

WIP: MCDST, Network +
  3. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

Nice post, cheers!

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals
  4. karan1337

karan1337 Byte Poster

U took the right decision, diving straight into higher certifications puts unnecessary pressure on u. Start with MCDST or a suitable MCTS that also servers as an elective to MCSE or MCSA as the case maybe.

I've been in desktop support for quite a while, so MCDST is a great starting point for enhancing and proving your skills. Because of previous experience, it took me a month to prepare and another 15 days to reinforce the exam objectives.

Which practice tests are u using?

Yes, some practice questions given part 2 of MS press books are not covered in part 1. U should use a training video series, the most famous one being CBT Nuggets. They've got almost full coverage of the exam objectives. I suggest u complete the part 1 of the book, then go through a video training series and then come back to part 2 of the book and other exam simulators.

What i used:-
    MS Press book for 70-271
    CBT Nuggets
    Transcender Practice exams
    MS Readiness Review
    Vmware Workstation (for windows xp, as i currently run vista as a host)

Good luck with your preparation and Welcome to the Forum!

Cheers!

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCTS, Brainbench: XP and Vista [Master]
    WIP: Bachelors:Computer Science
  5. adamkent

adamkent New Member

thanks....

got all the ones you have now

was using CBT nuggets for the others. Find the trainers highly annoying but really helpful

Will keep you posted of my progress

WIP: MCDST, Network +