70-271 help

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by spy22, Jun 15, 2009.

1. spy22

spy22 Byte Poster

Hey guys

I recently failed my 70-271,

I am not making excuses for myself but in terms of the exam I did feel I had a 'rather difficult' set of questions and microsoft could have been slightly nicer to me haha.

Joking apart I am fully aware that it boils down to not enough practical/theoretical knowledge and revision obviously.

My biggest mistake was the fact that I struggle with TCP/IP and DNS type questions, so I deserved to fail because if I am honest i thought to myself:-

"as long as none of them questions come up I will fly this exam"

Low and behold...yes you guessed it....lots of those type of questions!!! (serves me right)

Anyway, I am now in the process of obviously revising those weak areas and I recall one of the questions in the exam where there was an exhibit of a failed ping request and I did not have a clue where to look or how to diagnose it and through this revision can not find any scenarios to aid this troubleshooting.

Does anyone have any good links or advice on what I am looking at on a failed ping?

I cannot recall what the question or options actually were before you ask.

Regards

Certifications: Its who you know not what you know!!!
    WIP: CCNA?
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Unlucky mate - what study materials are you using.

3. spy22

spy22 Byte Poster

I have the microsoft training Kit and transcender but I want to look into more detail, and try out different scenarios you see

Certifications: Its who you know not what you know!!!
    WIP: CCNA?
  4. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

ok, not knowing what the question was exactly I will take you through how I work out connection issues.

1) at the command prompt type in ipconfig/all

This will pring up all of the IP addresses and other network data (dns servers etc) that the machine thinks it has. A small hint: if in the IP address it starts "169.254...." it is ussing APIPA or Automatic Private Internet Protocal Address. This means that the PC doesn't get a responce from the DHCP server and has given itself an address because it has to have one. in the MCDST exams the options assoicated with this are
    The DHCP server is down (if lots of client machines are like this) normally it comes with an option to say Poke sys admin so they sort it.
    The cable is pulled out the back
    The NIC is broken - try pinging the loopback address, if it doesnt work - get a new NIC

The other large set of questions I got were on DNS - remember DNS converts the IP address into a usable name so 192.168.0.110 becomes SPY22Mach1. If it says person X can ping the server and person cant but can if they use the IP address it is a DNS question. The answers can be check that the computer has the right IP address for the server (as above) that they are on the correct subnet, and yeah its normally one of those TBH.

The only other one I got thinking about it was one on gateways, they can ping each other but cannot reach the web - check the gateway settings.

I know this is very general but these are good skills to master as this type of question is the bread and butter stuff you get in a real job.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Good advice Ginerdave.

Spy22 can I also suggest that you grab a copy of Network+ by David Groth if you already don't own it. As I had done the N+ and used the groth book and the Meyers N+ book before I started the 70-271 they helped me a lot in terms of networking commands and what to do in such situations as Ginerdave pointed out.

Good luck on your next attempt.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. StormTHX

StormTHX Byte Poster

Excellent info from Dave and Bruce!

I felt that chapter 10 in the MS book covered these areas very well - check it out!

Good luck.

Certifications: MCDST, MCP (210), A+, ITIL Foundations
    WIP: Taking a break then onto MCSE