70-271 Exam Question

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by craigie, May 26, 2008.

1. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I'm currently studying for the 70-271 Exam which I have in less than a weeks time.

I have read the MS 70-271 book and have backed this knowledge up by using CBT Nuggets MCDST videos as well.

I have nearly done all of the practice exams in the back of the book ONCE only (so no remembering questions) and have consistantly scored around 80%.

However, I have started using the Microsoft Readiness Review Suite and consistantly score between 50% and 60%.

Is the actual Exam written like the Microsoft Readiness Review Suite or the questions in the back of the book?

The reason I ask this is the English in the Microsoft Readiness Review Suite is poorly written (not saying that I'm an expert) but I have to keep re-reading some questions over and over again to understand what they are trying to say.

If anyone who has already passed this exam could let me know that would be great.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi Craig, don't let the MS readiness review low marks get to you as the actual exam can be similar to the format you're going through in the back of the book.

However, go through it till you get the marks you're happy with but concentrate more on the subject matter and not so much on the high or low marks you're getting from the practice questions.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

neither practice exam will be the same as the real one but as far as I am aware Microsoft exams are written in a way to confuse you so you need to be carefull.

Is there anyway you can put off the exam? I would wait untill you are getting 85% - 90% before taking them.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

I am not a big fan of the Microsoft Readiness Review exam sim. The questions don't really match up to the style you get in a real MCP exam, and are a lot harder. Transcender is the closest to the real thing.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  5. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Thanks for the advise, I'm sure if I went back threw the questions at the end of the book now. I would score around 95% or so as I have read up and understood the reason why I got the answers wrong.

I think I will use the same tactic on the readiness review suite, but it really does hurt my head trying to dicipher what they are asking you to do.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  6. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Just booed the exam with a free second shot (which I hope I dont need :))

7. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Have you used Transcender before and would you recommend them?

8. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Yep, used them on all my MCPs.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  9. lifeisinmotion

lifeisinmotion New Member

Hi Craig, I have my exam in a few hours time and have been using both transcender and microsoft readiness review suite. In my last question with the MS RRS the user began as a man and ended up as a woman! I know it's a modern world but that threw me!
    I have spent a fair bit of time on the transcender 70-271 as well and that seems to have a few discrepancies as well. I have received similar advice to you but i am going ahead with the exam even though I am getting 70% average on these. The exam couldn't be so poorly written, could it? Oh well, free second shot helps doesn't it?

10. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad that I'm not the only one who has difficulty understanding the questions sometimes.

Hope your exam goes well.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :)

11. PoshBlue

PoshBlue Bit Poster

I'm sorry to bring up an old thread but that is one of the funniest things i have ever read! :biggrin

WIP: A+, MCDST
  12. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I'm glad you did dig it up, I've been having the same problems with the MS/MeasureUp software.
    Phew! I can relax a bit.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  13. bonesy

bonesy New Member

i wish i read this insted of creating a new thred. i keep getting around 51% on the suite but im pretty good using the transcender as i got 73% on my first go and i seem to understand the questions slightly (and i mean slightly) better than the review suite.

so what sort of percent should i be getting before i take the exam as i have it booked for friday (but i could always rearrange).

:)

Certifications: 70-271
    WIP: 70-272, A+ in a bit
  14. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

700 is the passing mark mate.

Whether that equates to 70% or not no one knows.

Best advice, is when you feel ready, take the exam.