70-270 vs 70-271

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by riaz.hasan, May 12, 2006.

1. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

With the relevant background and experience both of the MCDST exams should be fairly straight forward. That said the 272 exam is slightly harder than the 271. 8)

2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

yeah i noticed that too.. i think that has to do with office and IE thats why..

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

How in depth are the topics compared to the 70-270 Zimb? Ive read the MS details on the exam, and lloks almost identical to the 70-270.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-271.asp

What I basically mean is, are the 70-271 topics basically the topics on the 70-270 but less in depth?

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

more or less.. like i said earlier on in this thread.. how ms say it 271 is for level 1 desktop support, while 270 is for level 2 or 3 system administration. i think its worth looking at if you in a support role.

5. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

So the answer is yes then. :thumbleft

Cheers Zimb.

6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

The 70-271 exam is specifically targeted at Windows XP from he perspective of a help desk technician or end user support person. Most of the questions and objectives are targeted at supporting a person when something doesn't work whether the user is working in a domain environment or a workgroup environment. The 270 exam is targeted at the Windows XP product, and I think has more technical depth than being able to support a user.

7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I'm suprised you aren't going for your N+ instead Zimbo. COmbined with your A+ it would make up an elective for the MCSA. Also didn't you want to learn more about the networking side of things before tackling the 291?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  8. MonkeyWrench

MonkeyWrench Nibble Poster

Yeah they're not that difficult at all if you're already in a support role, It only took me 3 months to pass both exams. I agree that the 70-272 was probably the harder one out of the two (even though I got the higher mark), mostly down to all the office security aspects which isn't really transferable knowledge and has to be learnt from scratch. The 70-270 shouldn't take me too long either. I'm going to book it for the end of June to take advantage of Microsoft's 2nd chance offer just in case :)

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: 70-270, CCNA
  9. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

its not a comptia a+. In-house one i did in 2001 so not worthy for mcsa. plus comptia's exam prices are out of this world... come on! :blink

10. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

They aren't that bad if you buy discounted vouchers. I ended up getting each of my A+ vouchers for about £70.00 pounds each from GetCertified4Less.

I agree though, CompTIA aren't cheap. Even after discount my N+ cost me about 130-140 I think it was. I felt under more financial pressure to pass it than anything esle. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
  11. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

thanks modey. but i thought comptia stopped all vouchers? :blink

12. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

As far as I know they are still available. I read s tory about them being stopped, then bought one for my N+ and used it with no problems, about 8 weeks ago.

13. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

GetCertified4Less still seem to do A+, N+ & S+ for the UK. $138.00 for an A+ voucher which is about 76ish pounds.

N+ wasn't as big a discount when I bought it last year but it was still a fair whack cheaper then going direct to Prometric or VUE.

14. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

what im hoping to do i buy the n+ all in one and just read it.. dont take the exam.. but thats for later when i get back to 291 in a few months time.. now its 271 and mcdst!

BTW::: :offtopic

15. GW

GW Byte Poster

It took me about three hours. I had already passed the 70-210 (Windows 2000 Pro) and during an interview the potential employer questioned if I had enough experience with Windows XP since I was not certified in it, I told him to give me a couple of days and I will have proof for him.

I went to the book store and read up on the new features of XP and took the first available exam and passed easily (the only difference between the two exams is XP has more for Remote Desktop and I forget the other item, something I never use I'm sure).

Went back and handed him my pass certificate and he said that it doesn't prove anything. I told him thank you for wasting my time and money.

GW

Certifications: MCP x4, CompTia x3
    WIP: Cisco CCNA
  16. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

GW first of all if you read the book in 3 hours - thats 300 pages an hour. How much did you take in?

Second of all i agree with the potential employer totally. Anyone can pass certs today! The amount of info on the net in the form of braindumps and cheat sheets is out of hand. There is a little equation we have here at CF:

Code:
    certifications != job
    If you have experience to show that you know what you doing and a past employer can back it up then a cert is just your piece of paper saying it.

17. MonkeyWrench

MonkeyWrench Nibble Poster

Not nessessarily, I got a new job today (woohoo!) and during the interview RIS was mentioned a couple of times. Despite not having any hands on RIS experience, I could at least say I had knowledge of it gained from my last MCP, which my new employees seemed more than happy with. Not that RIS installations are all that difficult :)

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: 70-270, CCNA
  18. GW

GW Byte Poster

I only had to read up on two topics that are new on the XP exam, everything else is the same for the Windows 2000 Pro exam so I did not have to read the whole book since I had a good grasp of all of the other topics.

At the time I was using Windows XP Pro on my personal computers but the past employers that I worked with they only used 2000 Pro on the Workstations and 2000 Server for the servers. I've been working in the industry since I was 17 (now 30). But being I didn't get the job was a very good thing, I took a one month contract job for a Helpdesk position and at the end of that month they offered me a very nice salary and a promotion to a more server engineering level position.

I don't use braindumps myself and I agree that braindumpers ruin the whole industry, I've meet quite a few MCSE's who have done nothing but braindumped and because of them it is harder to find a good paying job because after they worked for a company that company looks down at all of the other people coming in with certifications and will only pay less than what the position is worth.

Yesterday I learned the my manager who has his MCSE 2003 and CCNA certifications is a braindumper which explains why he is so useless in his job.

But if you look at the exam topics on the 2000 Pro exam and the XP Pro exam there is a ton of overlap because XP is just an upgraded version of 2000 Pro with a few new features that was added to XP.

Someone who passes the 2000 Pro exam can pass the XP Pro exam because a lot of the questions are the same as well.

GW

Certifications: MCP x4, CompTia x3
    WIP: Cisco CCNA
  19. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Nice Post GW! :thumbleft

When W2K and XP were in development they were known internally at MS as NT5 and NT5.1 respectively, so that shows you just how alike they are! 8)

20. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

well i learnt something new too now! :biggrin

@GW - time to replace the manager with you mate? :D just think of zimbo when they need to find your replacement! LOL 8)