70-270 Review

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by zimbo, Jan 31, 2006.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

I passed my first MCP exam today (70-270) and i dont think i could have done it without this place... so i decided to give trip a run for his money and give you my review about my preparation for this exam.

I used two main books and one to polish up:
    MS Press Self Paced Training
    Sybex
    Exam Cram2
    Just looking at the prices they have all shot up since i got them! :blink but they are worth their weight in gold!

The MS press book is the biggest of three and goes into alot of details.. for someone coming from A+ or N+ this is your best bet.. cause it explains things well in pictures that a guy in support should know by now. Sybex dont go into that much detail and seem to stick to the exam domains pretty well. The only thing i didnt like about the Sybex book is that with 70-270 you are tested on alot of domain questions and the book didnt introduce it to you that well, whereas MS press gives you whole lessons on introductions to server terms which i prefered. I used the ms press as my main and the sybex as backup.

The most important tool you will for you MCSE is VMWare, this little program (yeah its little!!) will keep your house tidy from cables and help keep costs down later in the program. Labs are plentiful in 70-270 and both books have lots to cover i suggest you have a domain controller and one client , on the client put two accounts one domain and the other local cause there labs just for local accounts too!
    This is one area i struggled at first when i first started in Decemeber but three guys really helped me out Simon,Trip and Bluerinse (in no particular order!!!) and i got my lab up and running in no time! At this time i suggest you look at THIS
    thread.. All you need to setup your first lab is there including answer files its all tried and tested so it works!

I also came across alot of good websites and two sticked out:

Computer Performance

MCSEWorld

They are both excellant sites full of info to help you out!

Finally and not least Exam Cram.. this book polished up and refreshed stuff for me..not exactly needed but if can get it why not? GPO's, Auditing and Security is very heavy guys know it inside out and outside in!

Good luck! and since Mr Gates now says im an XP pro PRO if anyone starting out is having a prob just shout! 8)

Cheers and thanks CF! :clap :thumbleft

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Wow Zimbo, that is so cool. Congrats mate 8)

Zimbo the MCP, good onya!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Thanks for the info Zimbo. A lot of useful information here for everyone. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Thanks guys!! :biggrin shucks im getting too close to this place!!! :alc :iluvcf

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics