70-270 Preparation Query

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by Suchi, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Suchi

Suchi New Member

Hi
    I have started to study the material from Microsoft site for 70-270.At the moment I havent bought any books.

Can anyone send me (straight) links to buy book for 70-270?
    As I am confused with which one to go for? MSPress / Sybex / Trancenders?
    What is this Transcenders? Is it a publisher for theory books or they provide only question paper for practice?
    How much time shld I give for this paper if I put in 6-7 hrs a day?

Thankyou
    Any help is appreciated.

2. Trogdor

Trogdor Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

I am also studying for the 70-270 as well. I find that having more than one book helps. I am using the MS Press and the Sybex books. There are often things in one book that are explained better in the other book. The Trancender practice tests are to practice for the exams closer to the time you are going to take the exam. They are supposed to be quite good although I have never used them. Hope this helps.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Server+, PDI+, MCDST, HP APS Server, HP APS Desktop / Laptop
    WIP: ITIL, CCNA, MCSA, and BSc
  3. Suchi

Suchi New Member

Hi
    Thanks for replying.
    I had a look at the MCSA 70-270 Windows XP Professional Book Index only to find that few topics arent covered which are mentioned on the course content.
    But the one with Sybex covers most of it.
    Do we reallyneed a book? Isnt the course material sufficient?

Thanks

4. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

What course material are you referring to ? ... are you using a training provider or other course of some description or are you referring to the objectives?

Many people just buy the book(s), work through them, book a test and take it.

If you haven't taken a ms exam before i recommend that you start of with the MCDST and not jump into the MCSA.

Trancenders is software a practice exam package to test your readiness. However, the MS press book also has the harder Measure Up practice exam software on the included CD.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
    Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  5. Suchi

Suchi New Member

Hi
    I have the course taken up from Microsoft IT Academy Online Learning Program.
    Is it sufficient?
    Suchi

6. supernova

ahh okay

I have no idea, sorry, never personally used the Microsoft IT Academy Online Learning Program.

I did try a MCDST freebie once, a while back and i wasn't overly impressed

All i know is the back-end to the Microsoft e-learning recommends (learning path) the MS press books along side the online courses and/or class room courses. like i said this is something i have no personal experience in. I used the books for the MCDST and MCSA exams.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  7. Suchi

Suchi New Member

No problem guys...
    I have just bought Sybex and ExamCram 2
    Let me also see MS Press and I think I shld get into full force of studying now...

One question is:
    In the exam,are we asked all option type questions OR are there lab session too?

Which is the right way to study such papers?
    I mean I knw the books ,course material,solve papers,BUt is there something else ALSO i need to do.

Please do not laugh I know I have asked simple questions but I want to be perfect in wht I do.

Thankyou

8. xmojo

xmojo Nibble Poster

It's recommended you get hold of virtual machine software like VMWare and both Win XP and Win Server 2003 install CDs and set up a virtual machine network. Then you can simulate a networked environment to practice you lab sessions on. A virtual network will help you with all the networking and server papers you intend to study for.

9. supernova

dont forget MS press books include evaluation copy's the 20-270 includes XP SP2 and 70-290 Windows 2003 Server R2 (but don't install the R2 components as the exam only cover 2003 SP1).

You can also use Suns virtual Box as a free alternative to VMWARE, personally i have a box or two setup with VMWARE ESXi (which is also free but is a dedicated solution).

10. supernova

you could have any type of question multiple choice, simulation, list, drag n drop etc
    MS press's measure up software gives good examples of the various question formats

then start off with the MCDST (or comptia A+, N+) :) , if you new to IT this is more likely to help!

11. Suchi

Suchi New Member

hi
    I am not new in IT.I have 1 yrs experience and i have done my Masters in Computers.I am a web developer.
    Its only that I am trying to get into security.As i see my area of interest is in security rather than as a developer.There is so much of saturation in there.

I will surely keep in mind what u guys have mentioned abt practice sessions and VMWare all.
    For now I have just started 70-270,so lets see..

If anyone who is also doing 70-270 can we join and come together to share n discuss our problems???

That will be great.
    Suchi

12. supernova

So? I already had that when in started in IT.

Sorry if i am mistaken but it sounds like your trying to rush through these exams thinking that they will get you a job alone. esp because you wanted to do the MCSA in one month.

These exams aren't for learning how to do things!! they are there to prove that your technically competent at what your all ready doing!

270 you'll probably be okay with, but it think you'll struggle as you move on especially the 70-291 (Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure) , many people with the desired experience fail it.

However, employers will expect you to have experience matching the MCSA, experience in administering (look at Audience Profile for each exam) and preferably a career path to match eg from Helpdesk upwards.

Security will require heaps of experience that's my end goal aswell

anyway good luck with your studies

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  13. Suchi

Suchi New Member

thanks supernova,
    i am thinking over it....
    I will surely keep this in mind.
    bye