70-270 or 70-680

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by Simit, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Simit

Simit Bit Poster

So I recently passed my Network+ and aiming to study for a client exam next but can't decide for which OS.

At my present job (temp apprenticeship) we run Windows 7 so I thought it would make sense to do the 70-680 as I have alot of exposure to what I'd be studying about etc. Also studying Windows 7 would future proof me (no?)

Now my only worry is that as I am in a temporary placement, where ever I go from here will probably be running Windows XP, hence my reasons for weighing up doing the 70-270 instead.

Thoughts anybody?

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: MCITP: 70-680/685/686 + CCENT
  2. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Why not just do both of them.

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  3. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

If you're looking for a basic XP cert then the 70-271 is worth looking at. You can then add the 70-272 to become a MCDST if you have time before the retirement date (which is the end of june I think). Upgrade that to MCITP in W7 and you've got them both covered.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

what he said ^

The 70-270 is just beyond the MCDST and MCTS certs and really you should have a bit of experience before doing that.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I would also recommend knocking out the MCDST before it is retired in June. You'll then have plenty of time to upgrade to the MCTS/MCITP on Vista and/or Win7.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Simit

Simit Bit Poster

Late reply (forgot I even made this thread lol).

Anyway I went with Windows 7 since I have a lot of exposure to it at work and so far it's paid off, some of the stuff I've been learning has helped me in helping the users at work, so win win I guess.

Thanks for the advice though. I'm probably going to go for the 70-270 afterwards; backwards step maybe but it's more about gaining the knowledge to use on the job rather than just to get the qualification for me at the moment.

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: MCITP: 70-680/685/686 + CCENT