70-270 Lab

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by zimbo, Sep 24, 2005.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Well i got my Server up and running but I come up with a little prob :oops: the pc is was going to use for my XP client has packed out :(

i havent got my xp book yet (just the server ones) but would it be safe to use my main pc as the xp client for this exam? Or will drastic changes be made that i could end up messing it up and formating again? Or is all the lab work done from the server?

and could someone recommend a KVM switch please?

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Any KVM should do the job.

I wouldn't recommend using your main computer as part of your lab setup, just incase you do end up breaking it.

Why not set up you main computer to dual boot with two installations of XP (never tried it so dont know if it works). This way you could have on XP setup for you to use, and another setup to connect to your lab.

8)

3. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I wouldn't necessarily recommend 'any' KVM as you can buy some very cheapo ones that will give a p$ss poor video quality if you are used to using a high res and high refresh rate.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  4. Sneakydave

Sneakydave Bit Poster

Simongrahamuk, I am doing a similar thing, I have Windows XP Home as my main OS on my home PC and installed XP Pro as the second OS in the dual boot config. To reduce the chances of mucking anything up on my XP Home setup (and to side step some potential partitioning problems) I slapped in a 60GB HD made 2 partitions on there and used that for everything MCSA related.

Re the lab I have another PC which I may set up as a server can anyone tell me if my Zoom X5 4 port router (with builtin switch) is suitable?

WIP: MCSA 70-270
  5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Depends what you mean by suitable Sneaky. If it's for connecting your various PC's together into a small network, then I would imagine it will be fine and dandy. At some point you may benefit from disabling it's onboard DHCP server (I presume it has one, your link didn't work for me) and setting up your own on the 2K3 server.

I'm using an old netgear broadband router & switch to network my various lab PC's and it does the job just fine.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
  6. Sneakydave

Sneakydave Bit Poster

Whoops, Just displayed my ignorance magnificantly! :oops: I wrongly assumed that the KVM switches people were talking about were network devices but got some usefull info in return all the same :)

The X5 does have a DHCP server built in but I have disabled that and we use static IP addresses as that seems to be the only way to open specific ports on it's NAT firewall.

(I have fixed the link too :))

7. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

well i looked at the book i got and just confirm with me... my lab is going to be xp pro only machines right? no server 2003 need just yet?? :rolleyes:

8. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

It doesn't hurt to have a 2k3 server running Zimbo. I have found it useful when studying got the 70-270. I'm hoping to move onto the 70-290 after this cert, so it's all useful stuff.

As an example, I was learning about RIS (Remote Installation Services) servers the other day. So rather than just read about it, I set one up (on the 2k3 server), installed an XP Pro client using one, and then imaged that installation using RisPrep, then rolled that image out to a new workstation just to see if it worked, which it did. Good to learn all the in's and out's though.

9. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

correct me if im wrong... you used the server 2003 to install xp pro right? the problems im having is actually getting server 2003 and xp to be "talking"

btw what resources are you using to study from and setup your lab?

10. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Yes I used the RIS server that I setup on Windows 2003 to install XP Pro. This is done via the PXE boot interface, so if you have a PXE compatible NIC the PC boots from the NIC and then XP is installed via the network connection from the 2003 server.

In what way are your server and client not talking to each other? In my setup I have installed a DHCP server on the 2003 server, so the XP clients are obtaining their IP's from the server.

As for resources, at the moment I am going through the Learnkey course and taking notes. I also have the MS Press 2nd edition book, which I haven't used much yet. I reckon I'll start to look through that and use it as a reference manual after running through exam sims etc... I intend to use Trancender and also the exam prep thing that came with the book for that.

In terms of my lab, I have a PC with XP Pro & Server 2003 installed as a dual boot. I am mainly using the 2003 boot atm on that PC.

On my main PC I have XP Pro, but I don't use that for training, I use VMWare Workstation 5.0. So far I am using a couple of XP Pro builds that I installed using the RIS server mentioned above. The good thing about using VMWare is that it's very easy to setup new installs, wipe old ones etc... you can have a good play about without worrying about the concequences. I do have a Server 2003 setup in VMWare as well, but I find that having that on a 'real' PC with it's own NIC makes things less complicated when it comes to troubleshooting things and setting up various aspects of the network.

11. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

let me start from a afresh... i got one pc with server on it and one with xp pro.. they connected with a crossover cable and thats it! no settings no nothing (so that means no actual network) everytime i try to get them up i get horribly messed up! so if you could maybe right a step-by-step guide so i can get through this phase please... btw what is the role of that screen as soon as server boots up?

12. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Well not quite, just because you are using a crossover cable doesn't mean it's not a network, it's just a small one of 2 PCs.

Well I don't have a great deal of time right now as I should be getting ready for work. At the simplest level you should be assigning a static IP to each PC eg, 192.168.1.1 to your server and 192.168.1.2 to your XP Pro client, use a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and you should be ok to leave the gateway blank. It will be worth setting the first DNS entry on the XP PC to the IP address of the server, ie 192.168.1.1.

That should be enough to allow you to join the XP PC to the Domain on the server (assuming you have set one up). If you haven't and you aren't sure how to, you are getting into more complicated territory and it might not be fully beneficial to your 70-270 studying getting mired in setting a server up.

I do think having a server setup as a domain controller is a good thing for this exam as it would seem they expect you to know a fair bit about how an XP client fits into and interacts in that envoironment.

I guess you mean the 'manage your server' screen that comes up when you first log into Server 2003? It's just a handy screen that allows you to start various configuration wizards that will setup differen't roles on the server, ie DHCP server, DNS Server, File Server, Domain controller etc...

13. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

static ip is ok... i think its setting up the domain controller.. if you could run me through that please... btw if you want to use messenger or something more real-time let me know and thanks for your help so far!

14. Sneakydave

Sneakydave Bit Poster

If somone could post the URL to a basic setup guide for making a domain controller that would be real handy as I am planing to make a similar setup to Zimbo once I get a new Mother board for my broken PC :)

15. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

16. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Well, how about going through the domain controller setup wizard. The help is also reasonably good too. I've just set up a couple of them in the last few days (thanks to vmware) and it's much improved over the 2000 server wizard setup's.

Edit: Great link Simon, thanks. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  17. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

What nugget said really, use the Wizards. If the 'Manage your server' welcome screen isn't coming on, goto Start -> Programs -> Administrative Tools -> Configure Your Server Wizard.

You will want a Domain Controller and DNS server as a minimum, just go with the defaults and were you don't know what to pick, just guess and see what happens. That how most of us learnt our l33t server skillz. :)

Once you have the DC setup and you have joined your XP PC to it, you'll be able to tinker around with Group Policy etc...

18. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

How True! That's the purpose of building up labs, try and guess until you know what you're doing. :D

19. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

thanks for the link... so i presume the ip settings will be entered in this wizard??

i then share a folder or something and see it works from there right?

20. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

If memory serves (been a while) you are given the option to enter a static IP address during the wizzard, otherwise enter them manually as you have been shown in another thread.

It now depends on what you want to do with the server.
    What you should do first is to join the xp client to the domain, there are many ways to do this but the easiest is by rght clicking on my computer, properties, computer name, newtork id. (all on the XP PC BTW).

8)