70-270 efs

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by salv236, Jul 25, 2010.

1. salv236

salv236 Nibble Poster

I would like to know in the event that user loses his private key how can an admin or other recovery agent decrypt a file.

I tried to lab this in my virtual session, i performed the following:

1) as the impacted user i in cmd i did cipher /r:x:/filename
    2)it successfully generated a pfx and cer file.
    3) logged off and logged on with the administrator account.
    4) within group policy i added the administator as a recovery agent
    5) when i tried to decrypt via the cipher command or with windows explorer it wouldnt succeed.

Is there something i ma missing or doing wrong.

Thanks

Certifications: none
    WIP: MCSE XP/2K3
  2. AndreK

AndreK Bit Poster

I think recovery agents can only decrypt files that have been encrypted after the recovery agent has been assigned not before i.e. the above example the administrator account fails to decrypt the file because it was made the recovery agent after the file was encrypted.

3. salv236

salv236 Nibble Poster

i tried after tge assignment of the recovery agent to get the user to create another encrypted folder/file.
    Logging on as the administratir i still receive an accesss denied message, i dont understand.

Certifications: none
    WIP: MCSE XP/2K3
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Been a while but do you not need to install the certificate you have just exported?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. simonp83

simonp83 Kilobyte Poster

Going through the Windows 7 section of EFS now, not sure if XP will be much different, but after creating the recovery agent, you need to import it with the local computer policy.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP
    WIP: 70-291