70-270 Books

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by Modey, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I know this subject has been covered before, but there doesn't seems to be any info on these two particular books I am considering.

The first is the new MS book, which now includes SP2 coverage, 400 odd questions on CD and a discount voucher for the exam.

MS Book

For all that £28.69 seems pretty good.

Also there is the book from Sybex This one also covers SP2.

No customer reviews for either of these at the moment, so I'm guessing they are very new.

I know people have criticized the MS Press books before, but my thinking is that it would be useful as a reference for the future as well as for the exam?

Anyone's thoughts would be appreciated. I am toying with doing the exam by early August and I haven't started studying for it yet. I'd like to take advantage of the free resit offer before it expires if possible. Normally I would leave myself longer preparation time, but I'm getting married on August 13th, then away on Honymoon for the two weeks after that. Not sure if I want the worry of an exam on the buildup to the big day or not. :) But my thinking is that, if I didn't prepare enough in time, that at least I would have a free resit before the end of Sep.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I bought the MS Press one, even though it's for the wrong cert...
    I love it. I really think that the Microsoft books have come on in leaps over the last year or so. I started out using Prep-logic books, but they are rather heavy on worked examples and light on explanation (for MCSD this is). I've switched to MS Press for 270 and 229. I haven't done either exam yet, so I can't tell you if its good preparation or not.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

The earlier MS books were, to put it mildly, crap. As Jonny said they have improved a lot in the last year or so. I guess it's ultimately up to which style you prefer. Sybex are generally always well written and MS are usually rather dry (lots of the information you need but no.......personality).

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Much like a lot of the IT people I work with... :lolbang

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Thanks for the advice guys ...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada